Chrome's Inspect Element became too slow while editing

Hady Shaltout

May 8, 2018, 4:33:50 AM5/8/18
to Chrome DevTools
Hi There!

I'm a web designer and I'm using Inspect Element too much, Since Chrome v66 I noticed that the editing CSS properties in Inspect Element window became too slow and I had to wait up to 6 or 7 seconds may be more to see a letter I wrote, I record a video and upload it on Youtube to be able to see it.

Note: I try to disable option [Use hardware acceleration when available] but it corrupt all animations that I made in my design.

Kindly watch the issue in video attached and in Youtube as well

My System:

Core i7
RAM 16 GB
SSD Drive

Windows 8.1
Chrome v66.0.3359.139 (64-bit)

Does anyone have this issue??

Thanks for your help.

Best
Chrome Inspect Element.mp4

PhistucK

May 8, 2018, 6:42:45 AM5/8/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
You can search crbug.com for an existing issue and star it. If you cannot find one, file a new issue using the "New issue" link on the same page.
Please, do not add a "+1" or "Me too" or "Confirmed" (or similar) comment. It just wastes the time of Chrome engineers and sends unnecessary e-mails to all of the people who starred the issue.

You can reply with a link to the found or created issue and might get triaged (and fixed) faster.

Thank you.

PhistucK

Randy Shaver

May 9, 2018, 1:55:20 AM5/9/18
to Chrome DevTools
I want to start out that I am not associated with chrome in any way, but I have used chrome for many years and have seen this type of behavior before.  Your system response seems to be slow for the specs you quoted.  However, I have not found that it was associated with chrome directly.  However, one of several items seems to be conflicting with the use of chrome.  They could be one of the following, but not limited to these:
a)  virus
b) malware/ransomware(to be set off at some future date)
c) a new program/app which has a hook for keyboard or other device
To help determine the issue, I would first run virus and malware scans(use your favorite scanner programs for this) on the system after a fresh reboot and no other programs running.  Also, run 'sfc /scannow' to make sure all your OS files have not been contaminated.    Once this is done, go to 'task manager' and look for any programs using a lot of cpu time while completely idle and also while typing into another window.  Then, try running chrome with no extensions enabled to see if it still is running slow.  At any point where you find a slowdown, look at chrome's task manager and windows task manager to help determine if it is chrome or an outside program.  If all this fails, then there is the distinct possibility that you may have a loop in any javascript/python/perl/etc. script which may be using all the cputime you showed in your youtube video.

I have described a basic method for finding the reason for a slow system.  While I have tried to give you the basics, they are not necessarily in the order that I would perform them but would look at the things that may have changed recently.  If you have done all of the above, then please disregard all this.  Also, if your web page is getting large, you may want to break it up to work on it in developer tools which is also a method for debugging web pages as well.  However, if it is that large, then you may want to break it up anyway.

Good luck finding the problem.