Chrome devtool extension for nodejs debugging

Alexandre Morgaut

Jan 22, 2018, 1:31:24 PM1/22/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi,

I wondered if there anything specific to know if we want to write a devtool extension that add a panel in Node.js debugging mode

I saw that the ReactJS devtool panel is shown only in frontend mode bu not when opening the nodejs debugging window.

Is it even possible to extend this remote debugger without proposing a whole custom nodejs debugger like NiM ?

Thank you

Alexandre

Alexandre Morgaut

Mar 23, 2018, 7:14:15 AM3/23/18
to Chrome DevTools
Hi again,

I didn't got any answer so trying again

I've been looking for

This explains we can write devtool extensions adding for example custom panels

An additional page (https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/docs/sample-extensions) gives few examples

ex:
This is all good

Now the context I'm interested in is the "dedicated DevTools for Node" that can be open from "chrome://inspect#devices" (also used for https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/remote-debugging/webviews)

React / Angular devtool extension panels are not exposed in this opened nodejs devtool window
It could be an expected behavior for frontend framework extensions but I didn't found any examples of developer tool extension applied to this context

Am I the only one interested in making the Chrome Node.js devtool instance able to have extensions too ?
There in many extensions that could be interesting in this context, like:
  • express
  • mocha (debuging tests & putting breakpoint in the right place can be complicated)
  • mqtt
  • meteor
  • ...
In my situation I use nodejs with a native rendering engine so, providing:

Regards,

Alexandre

Kayce Basques

Apr 5, 2018, 7:17:07 PM4/5/18
to Chrome DevTools
Hey Alexandre, I asked the engineers about this a while back. If I recall correctly, I believe they said that custom panels is not possible for Node debugging at the moment.