Bundled version of the frontend

Oldrich Svec

Oct 5, 2017, 3:05:00 AM10/5/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Is it possible to download somewhere the latest stable version of the bundled devtools frontend that is present in Google Chrome? Basically I would like to get all the files under chrome-devtools://devtools/bundled/ folder such as inspector.js, console/console_module.js ...

What I do now is to navigate to chrome-devtools://devtools/bundled/inspector.html and open devtools for that window (F12) and then manually download one file after another. This is really slow process and there is no quarantee that I spot and download all the required files.

I have also spent time on trying to bundle my own version from the source code presented here https://github.com/ChromeDevTools/devtools-frontend but without any luck. You mention there that gulp can be used to build the frontend but I did not find any gulp file??

Thanks a lot ;)

Will Chen

Oct 6, 2017, 4:24:33 PM10/6/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hello Oldrich -

Can you tell us more about your use case? If you check-out the entire Chromium repo, you can generate just the devtools frontend without compiling all of Chrome.

I experimented with using gulp as a build system, but I've removed it as it didn't provide a big enough win for our team (we rely on Chrome's build system & a set of python scripts) to generate the bundled front-end.

- Will

Oldrich Svec

Oct 9, 2017, 5:12:04 AM10/9/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I develop and intranet website (application) that allows to run javascript code on a nodejs server and that also allows to debug it remotelly.

Previously we used Atom Electron for running the code on the server. The nice part with Atom Electron is that it automatically provides http://127.0.0.1:9222/json to list all running debug instances and http://127.0.0.1:9222/devtools/inspector.html to access the devtools inspector. A simple proxy is then enough to provide the inspector to the client.

We had several issues with Atom Electron such as compiling native modules so we decided to do everything in plain nodejs. As far as I know, nodejs does not provide http://127.0.0.1:9222/devtools/inspector.html so we have to host our own version of inspector to be provided to the users for the remote debugging. It is also important to mention that everything shall be served from our local server.

It would therefore be great if we had a simple access to the latest stable compiled version of the devtools frontend that we can just put on our server.

So everytime a new release of Chrome comes out, a new release of devtools frontend could be automatically placed under:

That would be really awesome ! ;)

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 12:05 AM Oldrich Svec <oldric...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is it possible to download somewhere the latest stable version of the bundled devtools frontend that is present in Google Chrome? Basically I would like to get all the files under chrome-devtools://devtools/bundled/ folder such as inspector.js, console/console_module.js ...

What I do now is to navigate to chrome-devtools://devtools/bundled/inspector.html and open devtools for that window (F12) and then manually download one file after another. This is really slow process and there is no quarantee that I spot and download all the required files.

I have also spent time on trying to bundle my own version from the source code presented here https://github.com/ChromeDevTools/devtools-frontend but without any luck. You mention there that gulp can be used to build the frontend but I did not find any gulp file??

Thanks a lot ;)

Oldrich Svec

Oct 13, 2017, 1:08:51 AM10/13/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
What do you say, Will? :)

Will Chen

Oct 13, 2017, 2:03:21 PM10/13/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi Oldrich -

It's an interesting use case. We don't have a process right now for releasing zipped versions of our devtools front-end.

Have you tried using the unbundled version of devtools-frontend from our github repo? It will be a little slower since it's not optimized, but functionality-wise it should work the same and it sounds like it'll work for your use case.

- Will

PhistucK

Oct 14, 2017, 3:21:13 AM10/14/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Plus, GitHub lets you download it as a ZIP file, so you do not even have to use Git, just some HTTP downloader would suffice.

PhistucK

Oldrich Svec

Oct 14, 2017, 7:26:23 AM10/14/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I did not know the fronted could be used as is without bundling. That definitely helps ;) I will try it out. Thanks

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 9:21:13 AM UTC+2, PhistucK wrote:
Plus, GitHub lets you download it as a ZIP file, so you do not even have to use Git, just some HTTP downloader would suffice.

PhistucK

Oldrich Svec

Oct 16, 2017, 6:00:25 AM10/16/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I have tried to use source code as suggested but the source code tries to use InspectorBackendCommands.js which does not exist. Where can I get the file?

Will Chen

Oct 16, 2017, 2:09:34 PM10/16/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hey Oldrich -

Ah, I forgot to mention that the InspectorBackendCommands.js file is generated at compile-time. You can download that file from our appspot server:

The format is @ followed by the chromium git commit hash. What I would do is look at the github commit of the front-end checkout and then look for the line "Cr-Mirrored-Commit" in the git description and use that git commit hash. (This is because our github front-end repo and the canonical chromium repo have different commit hashes for the same logical revision).

Example:

Let me know if you have any more issues.

-Will