What is "tts" in the timeline profile data

Srinivas Kowtal

Apr 2, 2015, 2:00:50 AM4/2/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am trying to do some analysis using the data from timeline view. I would like to know the following details:

1. what is  "ts" field? I think it is the start time of the corresponding function, but correct me if I am wrong. Also can you confirm it is in nanoseconds.
2. what is "tts" field? I don't know what this field is and what its units are.
3. Just above the "MainThread" time line in the timeline view, we can see the frame duration is displayed in the form of a film tape. I would like to know how I can extract the same data from the json file?

If there is a developer link which explains all the details about the timeline json format and how the frame duration are calculated please do share it.

Example section of timeline json file:

  {
    "pid": 26990,
    "tid": 210,
    "ts": 7079862683,
    "ph": "I",
    "cat": "disabled-by-default-devtools.timeline",
    "name": "RequestAnimationFrame",
    "args": {
      "data": {
        "id": 26796,
        "frame": "0x3abfa1c7c000",
        "stackTrace": [
          {
            "functionName": "",
            "scriptId": "215",
            "url": "http://webglsamples.org/tdl/webgl.js",
            "lineNumber": 557,
            "columnNumber": 35
          },
          {
            "functionName": "tdl.webgl.requestAnimationFrame",
            "scriptId": "215",
            "url": "http://webglsamples.org/tdl/webgl.js",
            "lineNumber": 569,
            "columnNumber": 20
          },
          {
            "functionName": "render",
            "scriptId": "205",
            "lineNumber": 1591,
            "columnNumber": 31
          }
        ]
      }
    },
    "tts": 215998281,
    "s": "g"
  },

Best regards
Srini

Pavel Feldman

Apr 2, 2015, 2:28:46 AM4/2/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CvAClvFfyA5R-PhYUmn5OOQtYMH4h6I0nSsKchNAySU has the format description.

As for the frame duration, it takes many signals and non-trivial logic to compute that. Here is the code for it: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/codesearch#chromium/src/third_party/WebKit/Source/devtools/front_end/timeline/TimelineFrameModel.js&q=TimelineFrameModel&sq=package:chromium&type=cs&l=34

Srinivas Kowtal

Apr 2, 2015, 3:17:07 AM4/2/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the links. it is very helpful.
Regards
Srini
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-chrome-developer-tools+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

PhistucK

Apr 3, 2015, 6:56:56 AM4/3/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I do not (immediately) see "tts" mentioned in the document. It is a property name, not a value, so I expect to find it using a simple search and could not... Am I assuming incorrectly that properties are not dynamically named (or, at least, this property)?
Can you point me to the part that discusses "tts"?

PhistucK

Jonathan Garbee

Apr 3, 2015, 7:54:54 AM4/3/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
 "tts": 215998281,

Second to last property.

Jonathan Garbee

Apr 3, 2015, 7:56:24 AM4/3/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Sorry, sent too quickly.

To finish that last email, I also do not see any document pointed out with details Phistuck. Are you looking at something in particular or do you mean the example JSON document?

Jonathan Garbee

Apr 3, 2015, 8:29:13 AM4/3/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Digging into the source code on this one, from a quick view "TTS" appears to be the time duration of the thread. Pulling this just from the name of the property it is assigned to if found.

PhistucK

Apr 3, 2015, 9:04:48 AM4/3/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Really, I just wanted an answer to the question the original poster asked ('2. what is "tts" field? I don't know what this field is and what its units are.') and I expected the document to which Pavel linked to have the answer (and to understand the abbreviation as well), but I could not find it. It was out of interest and curiosity, rather than an actual need (I do not look at the timeline profile data JSON).

PhistucK

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-chrome-developer-tools/CANQy2y0_XORVhYs8RX9zcaCc1puQiiR_TiseYnYoHXSmMNh7QQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Jonathan Garbee

Apr 3, 2015, 9:12:41 AM4/3/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, and I'm sorry for being so confusing. Checking the web thread I noticed Pavel did link to a fantastic document covering the spec. That email wasn't showing for me in Inbox however. Moved to another address for this group to hopefully clear up any confusion like that in the future.

I'll also do some digging and see if we can't improve the doc with this information. It would be useful to have everything in the export mentioned (unless this is experimental stuff and should be ignored for now.)

PhistucK

Apr 3, 2015, 9:19:54 AM4/3/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
You were not confusing, you were helpful, actually. :)

I appreciate the work you put into improving the documentation. :)
Thank you.

PhistucK

Yao Zuo

Sep 15, 2017, 11:23:53 AM9/15/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38550396/timestamp-in-chrome-devtool-s-timeline-json
I've confirmed the answer is true. I'm curious why doesn't it show epoch? How is "time since OS boot" useful?