Chrome developer tools freeze on launch

simon.b...@btinternet.com

Apr 18, 2013, 11:26:58 AM4/18/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
I've had no problem using Chrome developer tools on this PC, but now, when I launch the tool no controls respond - unable to move between tabs, unable to browse DOM etc.
I can close the developer tool panel, but that's all.
Problem manifests on all websites.
No apparent problem when using browser normally.

Reading other threads here this suggested possibly a problem with the profile, so deleted this and relaunched (confirmed new profile created) - problem persists.

Then tried complete uninstall and reinstall, problem persists.

Running Version 26.0.1410.64 m on W7 Pro.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

ben...@gmail.com

May 2, 2013, 7:23:13 AM5/2/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, simon.b...@btinternet.com

Same problem here...
בתאריך יום חמישי, 18 באפריל 2013 18:26:58 UTC+3, מאת simon.b...@btinternet.com:

Vsevolod Vlasov

May 6, 2013, 8:30:47 AM5/6/13
to ben...@gmail.com, Google Chrome Developer Tools, simon.b...@btinternet.com
Could you please check that you don't have touch events emulation turned on in Settings -> Overrides?

simon.b...@btinternet.com

May 6, 2013, 10:11:07 AM5/6/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, ben...@gmail.com, simon.b...@btinternet.com
No, I don't.

frea...@gmail.com

May 6, 2013, 2:15:13 PM5/6/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, simon.b...@btinternet.com
Hello,

I have exactly same case and quite for a long time now, maybe couple of months. Any updates on this?

Same version running on win7.

guh...@gmail.com

May 9, 2013, 8:33:18 PM5/9/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, simon.b...@btinternet.com
I'm yet another one with this exact problem...
Any updates guys??

simon.b...@btinternet.com

May 10, 2013, 7:57:57 AM5/10/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, simon.b...@btinternet.com, guh...@gmail.com
I posted this as a fault to Google at the same time as my first post.
Surprise, surprise, no response to that either.

John J Barton

May 10, 2013, 11:02:28 AM5/10/13
to simon.b...@btinternet.com, Google Chrome Developer Tools, guh...@gmail.com
Here is one suggestion: open devtools in a separate window then use shift+command+I to open devtools on devtools.  Do you see any errors in the console on the second copy?

Another suggestion: install a copy of Chrome 'Canary' and 1) run it from the command line with a command line option --user-data-dir and the name of a directory. Do devtools work? If that succeeds, close the Canary and open the faling browser. Then open Canary without the --user-data-dir switch.  Do devtools work?
jjb

simon.b...@btinternet.com

May 10, 2013, 12:35:56 PM5/10/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, simon.b...@btinternet.com, guh...@gmail.com
Thanks for the suggestions.

No console errors in the second devtools window.

I get the same problem with devtools on Canary.

John J Barton

May 10, 2013, 1:22:04 PM5/10/13
to simon.b...@btinternet.com, Google Chrome Developer Tools, guh...@gmail.com
There is almost certainly something odd about your machine.  It's probably not something devtools can fix.
Open chrome://extensions: do you have any extensions?
Do you use a web proxy? A local machine firewall? The devtools uses websockets: try a websockets demo app on your machine.

jjb

PhistucK

May 10, 2013, 1:25:40 PM5/10/13
to John J Barton, simon.b...@btinternet.com, Google Chrome Developer Tools, guh...@gmail.com
Note that I believe only the remote debugging feature uses WebSockets. The regular Developer Tools feature talks directly to the browser.

But, yes, there is something wrong with your machine, it seems. Also, look at chrome://flags and disable any flags you have previously enabled.

PhistucK

simon.b...@btinternet.com

May 10, 2013, 2:13:34 PM5/10/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, John J Barton, simon.b...@btinternet.com, guh...@gmail.com
No extensions loaded and I've never been anywhere near flags. I seldom use Chrome, just for browser testing, hence the need for devtools once in a while.

Don't use a web proxy or a local firewall.

Just to reiterate, devtools has worked fine on this machine for over a year, but has recently stopped working, poissibly, although I can't be certain of this, linked to a Chrome update.

PhistucK

May 10, 2013, 2:15:28 PM5/10/13
to simon.battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, John J Barton, guhenke
Are websites working fine?
(The Developer Tools front end is actually HTML/JavaScript/CSS, so I expect some normal web pages to get to this state as well)

PhistucK

simon.b...@btinternet.com

May 10, 2013, 2:18:41 PM5/10/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, simon.battersby, John J Barton, guhenke
Yes, as my first post, normal browsing is unaffected.
As last post, I don't use Chrome much, but can see no problem browsing a variety of sites.

PhistucK

May 10, 2013, 2:28:58 PM5/10/13
to Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, John J Barton, guhenke
I am out of ideas. Being able to debug this directly would help...

PhistucK

Gustavo Henke

May 10, 2013, 3:49:07 PM5/10/13
to PhistucK, Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, John J Barton
I've noted that if I try to interact with the web page after the devtools has been opened, it freezes.
If I just open the devtools, do my things, close it and keep testing a page, no problems at all.

Att,
Gustavo Licks Henke
Desenvolvedor Web e contribuidor do software OpenSource

Alexander Pavlov

May 10, 2013, 5:21:11 PM5/10/13
to Gustavo Henke, PhistucK, Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, John J Barton
This message has given me a clue that is nowhere close to a real solution, though.

The symptoms look like there is an avalanche of asynchronous protocol messages coming from the backend, which inhibit normal operation of DevTools (requesting DOM, styles, and some such, required to render the DevTools contents for a specific page). At least, this is something we have seen during the DevTools stress-testing (regarding continuous updates of multiple DOM elements, e.g. see the timer-based image animation at http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/performance/flickrexplorer/default.html), but most of these issues should have been mitigated.

My other idea is continuous console.log()-ging by the inspected page, but according to the reports, DevTools hang on startup regardless of the inspected URL, so I'm basically out of ideas, too...
--
-alexander

simon.b...@btinternet.com

May 11, 2013, 2:23:05 AM5/11/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, Gustavo Henke, PhistucK, Simon Battersby, John J Barton
Further information:

Second Canary window does freeze when viewing the DOM elements. I did manage to get a CPU profile however, which showed 100% idle.
To reiterate, the problem manifests on all web pages.
I'm actually seeing the same symptom as Gustav Henke above, in that once devtools freezes, it isn't possible to even move to a new page, it's necessary to open a new tab.
Hadn't noticed that before.

Ilya Tikhonovsky

May 10, 2013, 5:15:33 PM5/10/13
to simon.b...@btinternet.com, Google Chrome Developer Tools, guh...@gmail.com

Does the second devtools work fine or not?

If yes, or even if it is not, could you please try to record cpu profile in the second devtools window, save, zip and send it to us.

Canary version is able to save cpu profiles via context menu.

Gustavo Henke

May 15, 2013, 3:58:15 PM5/15/13
to Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, PhistucK, John J Barton
I couldn't test Canary anymore, it just doesn't want to start.

Well, using v26.0.1410.64 m, I noticed that the remote debugging page stucked also.
Using them in the same window, I  could stop the profiler, and it was 99.9% idle!
Using the remote debugging in another window, I couldn't even stop the profiler...

Att,
Gustavo Licks Henke
Desenvolvedor Web e contribuidor do software OpenSource

John J Barton

May 15, 2013, 4:16:08 PM5/15/13
to Gustavo Henke, Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, PhistucK
For remote debugging to work correctly you need two instances of Chrome running using different user data directories (aka profiles).

jjb

simon.b...@btinternet.com

May 22, 2013, 3:19:25 AM5/22/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, simon.b...@btinternet.com
My Chrome updated this morning to Version 27.0.1453.93 m.
Problem persists....

radio.m...@gmail.com

May 29, 2013, 5:15:27 PM5/29/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, simon.b...@btinternet.com, frea...@gmail.com
Hi,

I had the same trouble, both with regular content and developer tool panel.

I went into Settings, opened all settings (advanced? sorry, my Chrome version is not English) and realized there was a section "System" at the end of the list. Checkbox "use hardware acceleration if available" was on. After I set it off (unchecked), all problems were gone...

Jindra

Gustavo Henke

May 29, 2013, 11:14:40 PM5/29/13
to John J Barton, Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, PhistucK
Hey guys,
I've formatted my PC, and had the same problems.

I stranged, thought it would be my profile data that was corrupted; no. It happened all the time.

Then, I noted that quite often my navigation were freezing too; Google around when I hit this:

The tip that worked for me was disabling both "Thread Compositing" and "GPU Compositing on all pages". Then, both navigation and developer tools started working perfectly!

Att,
Gustavo Licks Henke
Desenvolvedor Web e contribuidor do software OpenSource

Ilya Tikhonovsky

May 30, 2013, 2:29:03 AM5/30/13
to Gustavo Henke, Nat Duca, John J Barton, Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, PhistucK
+nduca

Regards,
Tim.

Nat Duca

May 30, 2013, 6:23:40 PM5/30/13
to Ilya Tikhonovsky, Gustavo Henke, John J Barton, Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, PhistucK
If you can get a deterministic set of steps to making your page freeze, we would love to know more.

simon.b...@btinternet.com

May 31, 2013, 3:16:39 AM5/31/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, simon.b...@btinternet.com, frea...@gmail.com, radio.m...@gmail.com
Jindra

Disabling hardware acceleration looks like it fixes the problem.
Thanks!

Dmitri Chastikov

May 31, 2013, 3:20:24 AM5/31/13
to simon.b...@btinternet.com, google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, radio.m...@gmail.com
Confirmed! It solved the issue.

Thanks.

PhistucK

May 31, 2013, 3:19:43 AM5/31/13
to Simon Battersby, Jindřich Vavruška, Google Chrome Developer Tools, frea...@gmail.com
Jindra and Simon, can you provide us with some details about your system? Specifically, your platform, its version, the GPU drivers and model and manufacturer?
This should help the team fix this bug without the need to disable anything.

PhistucK

Jindřich Vavruška

May 31, 2013, 3:34:23 AM5/31/13
to PhistucK, Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, frea...@gmail.com
Hello,

I didn't get too far digging into configuration, but I hope this could help:

Chrome: Verze 27.0.1453.94 m
Windows: 7 Pro 64bit, SP1
Hw: (HP ProBook 4530s) it might be important it is a dual-GPU machine
GPU1: Intel Mobile HD Graphics - ATI Technologies Inc., driver date 2011-03-28, version 8.840.7.0
GPU2: Radeon HD6490M - ATI Technologies Inc., driver date 2011-03-28, version 8.840.7.0

I am not sending list of all driver files, as it is quite long and cannot be copied as text. If it is important, just tell me and I will make a screen copy.

Regards,

Jindra

simon.b...@btinternet.com

May 31, 2013, 3:37:11 AM5/31/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, Simon Battersby, Jindřich Vavruška, frea...@gmail.com
W7 Pro 64 bit, HP Probook 4730S.
Graphics

Display adapter type Mobile Intel(R) HD Graphics

Total available graphics memory 2399 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 640 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 1759 MB

Display adapter driver version 8.840.7.0

Primary monitor resolution 1600x900

DirectX version DirectX 10

PhistucK

PhistucK

May 31, 2013, 3:39:52 AM5/31/13
to Nat Duca, Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, freamer89, Jindřich Vavruška
Is the information supplied by Jindra and Simon below enough for you?
The steps are to simply open the Developer Tools in this configuration using Chrome 26 or Chrome 27.

PhistucK

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM, <simon.b...@btinternet.com> wrote:
W7 Pro 64 bit, HP Probook 4730S.
Graphics

Display adapter typeMobile Intel(R) HD Graphics

Total available graphics memory2399 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 640 MB

Dedicated system memory0 MB

Shared system memory1759 MB

Display adapter driver version 8.840.7.0

Primary monitor resolution1600x900

DirectX versionDirectX 10

Jindřich Vavruška

May 31, 2013, 3:46:01 AM5/31/13
to PhistucK, Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, frea...@gmail.com
Oh, and by the way, since some time I cannot exactly remember I think I have had similar problem with Flash plugins of all sorts and for all browsers. Recently it did not appear (there was a recent update) but during the previous four or five versions of Flash I had to disable Flash plugin in Firefox (I was not using Chrome because of trepeated screen freezes) because it froze Firefox as soon as there was any flash content in a page (even a flash-based ad in advertisment sidebars etc.).

So it really looks like double-GPU HW has problems. It is either due to the driver, or the developers have to code differently for dual-GPU systems (just guessing, I am not an expert in this).

Good that you have this acceleration on/off option, regardless of how it feels. If Chrome was like Flash, it would be totally useless on my PC.

Regards,

Jindra

Nat Duca

May 31, 2013, 11:33:33 AM5/31/13
to PhistucK, Zhenyao Mo, Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, freamer89, Jindřich Vavruška
The only thing i get from this is that we should blacklist this specific GPU. +zmo our blacklist expert on that line of thought.

simon.b...@btinternet.com

May 31, 2013, 11:37:49 AM5/31/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, PhistucK, Zhenyao Mo, Simon Battersby, freamer89, Jindřich Vavruška, nd...@google.com
So Chrome dev tools are not supported on this hardware?

Nat Duca

May 31, 2013, 11:38:43 AM5/31/13
to Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, PhistucK, Zhenyao Mo, freamer89, Jindřich Vavruška
No this isn't about devtools, likely. I think you're hitting a bug in Chrome's rendering system and devtools just happens to be tickling it.

This really should be a crbug.com :)

PhistucK

May 31, 2013, 11:39:45 AM5/31/13
to Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, Zhenyao Mo, freamer89, Jindřich Vavruška, Nat Duca
I guess some CSS that the Developer Tools feature uses triggers the hardware acceleration and your driver/GPU is not interacting well with it.
If you go to other websites that use the specific CSS that triggers it, they should also freeze.
Like Nat wrote, crbug.com is the place from here on.

PhistucK

PhistucK

May 31, 2013, 12:50:24 PM5/31/13
to Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, Zhenyao Mo, freamer89, Jindřich Vavruška, Nat Duca
Star crbug.com/245715 for updates.

PhistucK

Jindřich Vavruška

May 31, 2013, 6:58:30 PM5/31/13
to PhistucK, Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, Zhenyao Mo, freamer89, Nat Duca
Definitely so. Before I switched it off, I had this problem with any website open in Chrome. The interval between page load and the moment the window content froze was more or less random, but last week it was happening every time I opened Chrome, at least in one tab.

I am also convinced this problem should be related to driver rather than page rendering methods. Why? I am using Deezer. When I started playing an album and the screen froze, Chrome continued to play all tracks until the very end. So somewhere in the background everything worked (and there are all the time few constantly changing screen elements: track name, time playing, time remaining, progress slider). I'd bet on the driver and maybe only 64-bit Windows have this problem?

Jindra

PhistucK

Jun 1, 2013, 2:55:19 AM6/1/13
to Jindřich Vavruška, Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, Zhenyao Mo, freamer89, Nat Duca
Please, add this information to the issue I created.

Thank you!

PhistucK

Gustavo Henke

Jun 5, 2013, 7:07:35 PM6/5/13
to Nat Duca, Ilya Tikhonovsky, John J Barton, Simon Battersby, Google Chrome Developer Tools, PhistucK
There aren't any "steps to make it freeze". It just used to happen.

Att,
Gustavo Licks Henke
Desenvolvedor Web e contribuidor do software OpenSource

ai...@sww.co.nz

Jul 17, 2013, 7:11:40 PM7/17/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, simon.b...@btinternet.com
Same issue here. Disabling hardware acceleration fixes it for me too. Thanks to Jindra! Looks like this is a common problem, not just one guy with a something weird in their setup.

mic...@menumodo.com

Aug 9, 2013, 5:47:24 PM8/9/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, simon.b...@btinternet.com, ai...@sww.co.nz
same here - on OSX 10.8.4, Chrome Version 28.0.1500.95
happened after I clicked to display in new window - then all lines collapsed, and it froze.
after re-starting Chrome it came back in the same window, collapsed and no reaction to any commmands.

victor mutai

Oct 17, 2016, 12:24:44 PM10/17/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, simon.b...@btinternet.com