Chrome Dev Tools in New Window Keep Migrating Off Screen on Re-Open

Joshua Diamond

Jul 11, 2017, 3:50:39 PM7/11/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I have a strange problem that is really more of a deep annoyance than it is anything else. I am a web developer and I like most web developers use two monitors. I am using Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10 and my two monitors have the same resolution - 1920 x 1080. They differe in the size of text, apps and other items: my Laptop display: 125% (its a 13 inch monitor) and my second monitor: 100%. I've noticed that the problem i'm describing doesn't occur when both monitors are set to 100% but everything on the laptop monitor is too small to read.

I enjoy a set up with my Chrome window on my main laptop display (125%) and my dev tools open on my secondary display (100%). When I open my dev tools they open half off-screen:

Each time I close and reopen the dev tools, they migrate farther up and to the right. If I do this enough times, they open off screen:

Is there any fix for this?

Thanks

Josh

(FYI i was pointed over to here by Zarah general Google Help Forum)

Manjit Karve

Jul 13, 2017, 3:35:02 AM7/13/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi Josh,

I use Linux so can't send a screenshot, but I remember that in the Windows "Display Settings" dialog, there's an option to align the top edges of the two monitors as you prefer. Is it possible, that when you open the devtools window, it is aligning to the top of the other screen?

Regards,
Manjit

Ron Svedersky

Aug 1, 2017, 4:31:03 PM8/1/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
It happens to me on multiple setups and could very well be related to the scaling being different between monitors.  When they match for me tools are on screen.  That being said, I would think proper behavior should be to appear on screen completely by default, regardless of the reason they are not(different monitors, geometries of desktop, etc.) Easy enough to tell if your window is viewable.

PhistucK

Aug 1, 2017, 4:32:59 PM8/1/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
You can search crbug.com for an existing issue and star it. If you cannot find one, file a new issue using the "New issue" link on the same page.
Please, do not add a "+1" or "Me too" or "Confirmed" (or similar) comment. It just wastes the time of Chrome engineers and sends unnecessary e-mails to all of the people who starred the issue.

You can reply with a link to the found or created issue and might get triaged (and fixed) faster.

Thank you.

PhistucK

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 10:11 PM, Ron Svedersky <ro...@rons.org> wrote:
It happens to me on multiple setups and could very well be related to the scaling being different between monitors.  When they match for me tools are on screen.  That being said, I would think proper behavior should be to appear on screen completely by default, regardless of the reason they are not(different monitors, geometries of desktop, etc.) Easy enough to tell if your window is viewable.

Ron Svedersky

Aug 1, 2017, 5:10:08 PM8/1/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Where does it say anywhere on this group that this is for private tracking of issues? I have a similar problem as described, there was no response from the originator. Might be a bug, might not be at this point.  Kind of thought that this was a discussion.

Hopefully your unhelpful cut and paste response gets you points somewhere. (as well as also wasting the time of Chrome engineers by sending your cut and paste.)

PhistucK

Aug 3, 2017, 6:18:05 PM8/3/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Looks like I missed your (negative :() reply.

Because this sounds like a bug (why would a window go off screen be a feature?), I suggested filing it using the official issue tracker, so it would get triaged, investigated and eventually fixed.
If you are comfortable with having this issue and prefer that you and others that experience this issue will continue to experience it, it is a bit selfish, but it is your call.

I am sorry you found my canned reply unhelpful. Many bugs were filed and fixed after reading it.

While this is a discussion, a proper issue on the issue tracker might get it fixed, or get it fixed sooner.

PhistucK

Maurits Veenman

Nov 8, 2017, 11:46:15 AM11/8/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I can confirm this issue on my Surface Pro 4 with an external monitor hooked up. My Surface is set to 150% scale and the attached monitor has 100%. Same issue, developer tools always opens with most of it being off screen. Haven't found a solution yet, but I did find that grabbing the edge of the developer tools window and adjusting it's size will make the window reposition. Strange issue, and actually quite annoying!

Joshua Diamond

Nov 9, 2017, 10:59:50 AM11/9/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hey Ron,

I can confirm that it appears in screen 100% of the time when the monitors' scaling match. And you're right, it should appear by default in view. Its strange that it wasn't programmed that way.

Joshua Diamond

Nov 9, 2017, 11:05:04 AM11/9/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools

Joshua Diamond

Nov 9, 2017, 11:07:14 AM11/9/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Thanks for the response. Grabbing the edge is a much faster solution than what I was doing before. (I was shift + right clicking the window in the task bar and then selecting move and moving back to on screen).

Kayce Basques

Nov 16, 2017, 7:09:57 PM11/16/17
On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 2:10:08 PM UTC-7, Ron Svedersky wrote:
Where does it say anywhere on this group that this is for private tracking of issues? I have a similar problem as described, there was no response from the originator. Might be a bug, might not be at this point.  Kind of thought that this was a discussion.

Hopefully your unhelpful cut and paste response gets you points somewhere. (as well as also wasting the time of Chrome engineers by sending your cut and paste.)

Ron please keep your comments respectful. This mailing list follows the Chromium Code Of Conduct.

Kayce Basques

Nov 16, 2017, 7:12:50 PM11/16/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 8:05:04 AM UTC-8, Joshua Diamond wrote:

Thanks for opening the issue.

For any one else experiencing the same issue, please star that issue in order to help the team prioritize it.

Bill Yudichak

Nov 17, 2017, 7:43:54 AM11/17/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Thank you for opening a bug, this has been driving me nuts for months!

ben...@quadland.com

Feb 14, 2018, 1:42:46 PM2/14/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I have had this issue for several months now. I inadvertently had one display set to 125% but several weeksago I set my displays to 100% for both but still had the issue.  After reading this thread I went to the display settings and I had an alert saying in order for some apps to adjust to changes I had to sign out of my Windows account. So I did and when I signed back in it works without the tools going offscreen.  So make sure your displays are set to 100% and there should be an alert on the main screen display settings saying to sign out for changes to take effect. So click and then resign in and enjoy. hope this helps somebody!  =)

TK Poppi

Jan 19, 2019, 3:16:44 AM1/19/19
to Chrome DevTools
2019 - this is still happening.

I use multiple monitors with different scaling on them.

Here is the best work around I have found for getting the window back onto the visible and usable screen space:

1. Hover over the chrome dev tools icon in the windows taskbar
2. Picture of the window appears above the icon, right click on that.
3. Select move and then use your arrow keys or mouse to move the silhouette of the window to the desired location
4. If move is greyed out select maximise instead

Sam Hobbs

May 3, 2019, 2:50:36 PM5/3/19
to Chrome DevTools
Necropost, but here's my protip: if you're on Windows 8/10 and you lose a window due to a screen DPI or scaling disparity, do the following:
  • Select a different window.
  • Hit the (⊞ ) or (+ ) keyboard shortcut to "pin" the active window to the left or right of the monitor.
  • Windows will then momentarily give you the option to pin one of the other windows to the other side.
  • Choose your lost window, and now it's suddenly visible again! (Pinned against a half of the screen.)
Hope that helps. (This happens to me all the time, due to having one 4K monitor and another 1080p.)

jef...@microsoft.com

May 3, 2019, 6:07:14 PM5/3/19
to Chrome DevTools
Since we're bumping this thread, I'll add that this bug has a fix as of version 75.0.3741.0:

This means the fix currently is in Dev and Canary, but not yet in Beta/Stable. Estimated Stable date looks to be June 4th according to https://www.chromium.org/developers/calendar

Cheers,
-Jeff

Alexei Filippov

May 3, 2019, 6:38:24 PM5/3/19
to Google Chrome Developer Tools

Daniel De Almeida

May 17, 2019, 1:05:28 PM5/17/19
to Chrome DevTools
Hey Josh - I got away with that by doing this:

1 - With the Google Chrome Developer Console window on focus...
2 - Press "ALT + SPACE" (on Windows)
3 - With the options menu that opens I clicked on "Size" and resized the window decreasing the width by touching the left side border and dragging towards the center of the window
4 - As soon as I stopped from dragging it, the window popped up to the bottom and now I can see the header of the window.

hope it helps someone.