Chromium 2x Faster then Chrome .. why?

Tomas Trescak

Jun 6, 2016, 10:28:31 AM6/6/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I installed latest Chrome on my new machine and from the very first moment it seems to be considerably slow.
I installed Chromium to see if it will perform better and ... well ... it's 2x faster on page load, significantly faster during debugging ...
They both are at the same version, they both have very same extensions running (React and Redux dev tools).

Any idea why is my Chrome so slow?
Here is a gif showing the performance:

PhistucK

Jun 6, 2016, 12:04:20 PM6/6/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Two things that come to mind -
1. I have seen lately that accessibility mode is enabled in Chrome in certain situations. Perhaps it is for some reason not enabled in Chromium and thus you get performance benefits. To check this, go to chrome://accessibility on both of them and see whether anything there is "on" instead of "off".
2. If you have any antimalware or antivirus software, they might be injecting themselves into Chrome and not into Chromium (they perhaps match the application by path, since Chrome mostly resides on the same path.

Though I see you are using Macintosh and perhaps those two things are Windows specific, so they might not explain it at all. :(

PhistucK

Tomas Trescak

Jun 6, 2016, 5:56:39 PM6/6/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Thank you for your answer! Unfortunately the accessibility is off in both browsers. I have no antivirus or antimalware software installed as well.
I tested more today and it really is performing quite badly.
Before my machine reinstall it was much better, what is weird. Since I have a clean install in clean OS.

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Tomas Trescak <tomi.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
I installed latest Chrome on my new machine and from the very first moment it seems to be considerably slow.
I installed Chromium to see if it will perform better and ... well ... it's 2x faster on page load, significantly faster during debugging ...
They both are at the same version, they both have very same extensions running (React and Redux dev tools).

Any idea why is my Chrome so slow?
Here is a gif showing the performance:

PhistucK

Jun 7, 2016, 12:14:14 PM6/7/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
You can search crbug.com for an existing issue and star it. If you cannot find one, file a new issue using the "New issue" link on the same page.
Please, do not add a "+1" or "Me too" or "Confirmed" (or similar) comment. It just wastes the time of Chrome engineers and sends unnecessary e-mails to all of the people who starred the issue.

You can reply with a link to the found or created issue and might get triaged (and fixed) faster.

Thank you.

PhistucK