Pushing To A GitHub Repository Post Commit

PhistucK

Jun 17, 2015, 4:19:13 PM6/17/15
to infr...@chromium.org, Paul Irish, Google Chrome Developer Tools
In order to encourage contributions to the Developer Tools feature, I am working on setting up a GitHub repository (a mirror of the Developer Tools JavaScript/HTML/CSS code) to which anyone could send pull requests (a Travis CI build bot - which is already set up with the help of Robert - will be testing the patch). Once approved by a team member, the pull request would be converted to a Rietveld issue and any future commit would turn into a new patchset.

This effort is, of course, coordinated with the Developer Tools team as well as Paul Irish.

As a part of this effort, I want to know if you are willing to provide the infrastructure for maintaining the mirror by pushing any relevant commit to a GitHub repository.
(I will provide as much code as I can for this, of course, but only you can create a post commit hook...)

I do not think I need the history (I do need the commit hash, I think, for dealing with Rietveld later). I was thinking to just clone the GitHub repository to some folder, copy the relevant source files from Blink to that folder, add everything, commit locally (with the same commit message, with an added original commit hash and push to GitHub. Pretty lightweight, I think. Unless you have other suggestions.

Thank you.

PhistucK

PhistucK

Jun 17, 2015, 4:33:58 PM6/17/15
to Robert Iannucci, infr...@chromium.org, Paul Irish, Google Chrome Developer Tools
It might be, I am not sure what it entails and what the consequences are... But if this ends up in GitHub, then I guess it should work. :)
My proposal was meant to simplify things, but if this is simpler for you - beautiful. :)

This might complicate things -
I see that the Developer Tools feature (including its tests) is made up of a few paths.
blink/Source/devtools/*
blink/Source/core/inspector/*
blink/LayoutTests/inspector/* (and two additional similar paths)
blink/PRESUBMIT.py

Can the proposed way (subtree mirror) accommodate this?

Thank you!

PhistucK

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:22 PM, Robert Iannucci <iann...@chromium.org> wrote:

We can do a subtree mirror from a subdirectory of a git repo into another git repo. Here's an example: https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/build

Would that suffice? Pushing it to github too would also be easy.

Rob

Robert Iannucci

Jun 18, 2015, 1:33:05 AM6/18/15
to PhistucK, infr...@chromium.org, Paul Irish, Google Chrome Developer Tools
That would be pretty tricky... I would recommend refactoring it in blink into one subdirectory, if that's at all possible. Then you could have a single README at the base folder which makes sense and make it clear that it's extracted elsewhere and is expected to stand alone (so you don't introduce dependencies on code outside of the mirrored paths which work in blink, but not in the github repo).

We could also mirror Source/devtools, Source/core/inspector and Source/LayoutTests/inspector independently, and then make the github repo contain them as submodules (so the github repo would have 'devtools', 'inspector', 'inspector_tests' folders, and its own PRESUBMIT.py file). Then we'd need to write a bot to roll the submodules when they change.

Otherwise, it's possible that we could make the subtree daemon be able to extract multiple folders into single coherent commits.

I think it would be all-around better if we didn't need to do that, however :).

PhistucK

Jun 18, 2015, 3:44:48 AM6/18/15
to Andrey Lushnikov, infr...@chromium.org, Paul Irish, Robert Iannucci, Google Chrome Developer Tools
Andrey, can you advise here?

Thank you!

PhistucK

Pavel Feldman

Jun 18, 2015, 4:00:56 AM6/18/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, Andrey Lushnikov, infr...@chromium.org, Paul Irish, Robert Iannucci

>> This effort is, of course, coordinated with the Developer Tools team as well as Paul Irish.

As a DevTools lead, I don't think this is quite the case. It is the first time I hear we decided to do something on this front.

What is your plan here? This is not the first time it is brought up, but there are certain challenges on the way that prevented us from investing into it earlier. Namely, the review / contribution process execution with associated policy requirements and testing infrastructure that needs to run against the debugging backend.

Lets hold it off until discussed with the eng team.

Regards
Pavel

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-chrome-developer-tools/CABc02_JSsDDYKW64LjrJ2K018BwV3q7fSfok_Qr0mdMd89%3DUnA%40mail.gmail.com.

PhistucK

Jun 18, 2015, 4:10:52 AM6/18/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, Andrey Lushnikov, infr...@chromium.org, Paul Irish, Robert Iannucci
So are you going to discuss this with the team and get back to me about this?

I was under the impression that this is acceptable, per the plan outlined by Paul Irish here -

If it is not, please, advise.

PhistucK

Pavel Feldman

Jun 18, 2015, 7:27:08 AM6/18/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, Andrey Lushnikov, Paul Irish, Robert Iannucci, infr...@chromium.org

No, it is clearly a bad idea. I don't see how it addresses the layout test issue, nor does it address review process challenges that we've faced with external contributors that start off github. So lets not fork the dev process like this.

We should instead steer the front-end itself towards a more open contribution model where it can be considered a standalone project with reasonable standalone testing harness and a way to test against runtime (i.e. no layout tests). So instead of forking and not testing, we should start with what we have and refactor it. That's however something we don't have free cycles for atm.

Anyhow, lets move this discussion back to the thread you pointed to.