Introducing… The Debugger Protocol Viewer app

Paul Irish

Jul 15, 2015, 12:27:55 AM7/15/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, Konrad Dzwinel, Eric Guzman
Hiya folks,

I bet there's a lot of folks on this list that have spent time poking around a big JSON file called protocol.json. :)

Now we have a much more civilized UI for navigating the protocol:

Inline image 1

Features:
  • Unique URLs for domains, methods, events and types
  • Built in Polymer and Jekyll
  • Referenceable custom types
  • Looks pretty good. ;)

Before & after
Here's a good shot comparing our existing protocol docs to the new stuff.
Inline image 3Inline image 5

What's next & wishlist:
  • Automatically stays up to date against ToT
  • Protocol snapshots of 1.1, stable, beta, dev
  • Subscribe to protocol changes
  • Local search & filter
  • and a few more.

It's all on github so please file issues there:

And please submit pull requests. The project is very straightforward to hack on.

HUGE thanks to Konrad Dzwinel, who built most of this.
Konrad is a Google Developer Expert for Chrome and top answerer for DevTools questions on StackOverflow.
He's also been building great tools for web developers for a while like SnappySnippet  (extract computed CSS and HTML from selected element) and DOMListener  (monitor all DOM changes made).

Big thanks also to Eric Guzman who built the viewer (https://rawgit.com/ChromeDevTools/debugger-protocol-viewer/v0.1/index.html) that kickstarted this effort.

Lastly, a quick disclaimer,
I should point out that this viewer currently shows the most recent version of the protocol (~ a few days old). If you're using the protocol in a production environment, parts may break, however the 1.1 subset is stable. More details: https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/docs/debugger-protocol

Jason Laster

Jul 17, 2015, 2:05:53 PM7/17/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, Konrad Dzwinel, Eric Guzman
Great work. Looks great!

Jason Laster
Software Engineer
  Etsy

Paul Irish

Oct 19, 2015, 3:11:23 PM10/19/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, Konrad Dzwinel, Eric Guzman
Update…

The app has continued to get updates and upgrades.

It now has search, permalinks and describes object types.

Inline image 1

The protocol version shown is generally ToT, though it's bumped manually at the moment.