An easier way to debug devtools extensions?

Raymond Camden

Aug 2, 2015, 11:30:53 AM8/2/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Right now to debug a devtools extension I have to:

1) Go to my Extensions tab.
2) Click reload on my extension.
3) Go to a tab where I'm testing and re-open dev tools.
4) Open dev tools on dev tools.

5) Test and see if things are working. If not...  go to step 1.

Would there be any way to make this easier? It is especially painful on a laptop trying to manage the 3 separate windows and constantly having to reopen them.

Paul Irish

Aug 3, 2015, 11:54:28 AM8/3/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Heya Ray,

I use the yeoman generator for chrome extensions which automatically hooks up livereload for all changes.
This removes the need to hit "Reload" in about:extensions on changes.
Then I hook up Workspaces for the extra speed.
That combo is pretty migty

Jason Laster

Aug 3, 2015, 12:53:24 PM8/3/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
That's a pretty sweet setup. I wonder if we can promote that setup more broadly.

Jason Laster
Software Engineer
  Etsy