Issues inspecting a element that appears on hover

Chris Balogh

Apr 6, 2015, 1:23:11 PM4/6/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
In the past, I was able to hover over an object and right click within the fly out that would appear to inspect elements within the fly out (like a pop-up shopping cart).

Now when I attempt to do that, the fly out automatically closes. Why has this changed and is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance!

Andrey Lushnikov

Apr 6, 2015, 1:33:12 PM4/6/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
What is a "fly out"? Is this a right-click context menu on the inspected page?

Chris Balogh

Apr 6, 2015, 1:40:11 PM4/6/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, lush...@chromium.org
Basically. On many eCommerce sites they have a main menu to navigate from. When you hover over that menu drop-downs may appear giving more detail. Previously I could inspect elements within those drop-downs but now they will close when attempting to do this.

So previously when I right-clicked to inspect, the element/object that was revealed via hovering would stay open, allowing me to inspect it. Now, the element instantly closes.

PhistucK

Apr 6, 2015, 1:48:14 PM4/6/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, lush...@chromium.org
Do you observe the change in all of the websites, or in specific ones?
The websites may have just added a 'feature' - closing the hover resulting element when the page is out of focus.

PhistucK

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Chris Balogh <cbalo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Basically. On many eCommerce sites they have a main menu to navigate from. When you hover over that menu drop-downs may appear giving more detail. Previously I could inspect elements within those drop-downs but now they will close when attempting to do this.

So previously when I right-clicked to inspect, the element/object that was revealed via hovering would stay open, allowing me to inspect it. Now, the element instantly closes.

Chris Balogh

Apr 6, 2015, 1:52:44 PM4/6/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, lush...@chromium.org
All sites. I'm working on a few for work. That's where I noticed it. But it does it everywhere.

Go to amazon for example and hover over "Shop by Department"

When I try to inspect "Full Store Directory" or any other item in that list, the menu closes. Previously the menu would not close, and I would be able to inspect said element.

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 1:48:14 PM UTC-4, PhistucK wrote:
Do you observe the change in all of the websites, or in specific ones?
The websites may have just added a 'feature' - closing the hover resulting element when the page is out of focus.

PhistucK

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Chris Balogh <cbalo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Basically. On many eCommerce sites they have a main menu to navigate from. When you hover over that menu drop-downs may appear giving more detail. Previously I could inspect elements within those drop-downs but now they will close when attempting to do this.

So previously when I right-clicked to inspect, the element/object that was revealed via hovering would stay open, allowing me to inspect it. Now, the element instantly closes.

PhistucK

Apr 6, 2015, 3:00:37 PM4/6/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, lush...@chromium.org
I can reproduce this on Firefox as well.
So the issue is not when you click on "Inspect element", but even sooner - when the context menu shows up.
I bet the code is listening to the "mouseout" event and once it is fired, it hides the hover resulting element.
And Chrome probably got on par with the Firefox and started firing "mouseout" for this scenario and did not use to.
Internet Explorer 11 does not fire "mouseout" in this scenario.

PhistucK

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-chrome-developer-tools/6fe01766-2aa8-4cae-8da3-34fc38291549%40googlegroups.com.

Chris Balogh

Apr 6, 2015, 3:09:49 PM4/6/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, lush...@chromium.org
That would make sense. Thanks for the insight. It worked so nicely before, this is upsetting. Is there any workaround, like a way to manually turn off certain events in chrome for web development purposes?

PhistucK

Paul Irish

Apr 6, 2015, 3:37:02 PM4/6/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, lush...@chromium.org
Dirty hack: Use an event listener breakpoint on mouseout and mousleave?​

Chris, are you sure this worked in a previous release of Chrome?
Like when?

Phistuck, do you see any blink activity around mouseout/leave firing on context menu? I'd be interested if this was deliberate…

Chris Balogh

Apr 6, 2015, 3:42:51 PM4/6/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, lush...@chromium.org
I've noticed this issue within the last month or two. Prior to then it worked fine in Chrome.

PhistucK

Apr 6, 2015, 4:50:05 PM4/6/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, lush...@chromium.org
The original poster did not mention their Chrome version, but this seems to be a side effect (or intentional) of crbug.com/409601 (related - crbug.com/450631).

And finally -
crbug.com/450138 seems to be this issue, so this might be unintended, even though Firefox does the same.

PhistucK

Paul Irish

Apr 6, 2015, 6:48:37 PM4/6/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, lush...@chromium.org
nice finds!

Looks like crbug.com/450138 was fixed 3 days ago, so Windows Canary should have the fix.