Contribution Process question

Oleksii Kadurin

Dec 1, 2016, 3:24:56 AM12/1/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi! I would like to make sure that I got everything correctly in context of
Writing/submitting a patch. I feel like I missed some steps.

According to the documentation I've made these steps:
* Found a bug
* Created a ticket
* Left a message that I would like to work on that ticket
* Made a fix
* Created a patch and sent it to the code review

The thing is that the ticket was assigned to another person.
If I understand correctly it means that from now that person is responsible for
writing the patch for the ticket's issue.

I'm a bit confused why I wasn't assigned to the ticket. Did I miss some steps?
Thanks for reply!

PhistucK

Dec 1, 2016, 3:34:13 AM12/1/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Assigned issues mostly signal the backlog. You can see that many issues are assigned to a single person, they obviously will not get to all of them at once.
Leave a comment and notify that you intend to work on the issue. If you do not get an answer within a day or two (barring weekends and similar), I believe you can probably work on it.

PhistucK

Oleksii Kadurin

Dec 1, 2016, 4:00:06 AM12/1/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi! Thanks for reply.
To be clear here is my issue ticket and here is the code review ticket.

>>> Leave a comment and notify that you intend to work on the issue
done.

>>> If you do not get an answer within a day or two (barring weekends and similar), I believe you can probably work on it.
How will I know that? Are there some "signs"? Will my pull request be checked then? Just to be clear.
Thanks!

PhistucK

Dec 1, 2016, 4:08:09 AM12/1/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Comments inline.

PhistucK

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Oleksii Kadurin <ovka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi! Thanks for reply.
To be clear here is my issue ticket and here is the code review ticket.

>>> Leave a comment and notify that you intend to work on the issue
done.

>>> If you do not get an answer within a day or two (barring weekends and similar), I believe you can probably work on it.
How will I know that?
​
Are there some "signs"?

Star the issue (if your reported the issue, it is already starred) and you will get e-mail notifications for new comments. If they say that you can work on it, that sums it up. :)
If no one comments, they probably do not work on it anyway, so you can.

 Will my pull request be checked then?

​Your change list will be reviewed regardless, it might just get an "I am already working on it" comment. :)

In your case, since it is a minor issue and you just filed it, I suspect that no one is working on it and you are free to work on it, which you did.
Give the change list a few hours or days to be reviewed. People just got to their offices a few hours ago and they have work to do as well. :)​
You can ping the change list (comment) if no one reviews it after a few days.

Oleksii Kadurin

Dec 1, 2016, 4:18:44 AM12/1/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I got it. Thanks!
So just to recap.
In my case it seems I did all I supposed to. And now I have just to wait for somebody to review my code review issue. If nobody responses in like 2 days then I can leave a comment in my code review issue to refresh it.
BTW what about running tests on the code review issue? I have no rights to do that. It says I should have submitted at least one patch to have that right.

Will Chen

Dec 1, 2016, 4:39:51 PM12/1/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi Oleksii,

I've added a couple of reviewers who worked on that file recently to take a look at your CL.

For running tests, I kicked off a try job for you which runs a large suite of tests. You can run the DevTools-specific suite of tests locally by running "npm test" within /chromium/src/third_party/WebKit/Source/devtools. For more info on running tests, see: https://github.com/ChromeDevTools/devtools-frontend#useful-commands

Oleksii Kadurin

Dec 1, 2016, 6:16:59 PM12/1/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, chenw...@google.com
Hi Will! Thanks a lot!

Oleksii Kadurin

Dec 1, 2016, 6:20:25 PM12/1/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
If I understand correctly it means that from now that person is responsible for
writing the patch for the ticket's issue.
Yep, I got it correctly.
As soon as you post a ticket it might be assigned to somebody else disregarding the comment like

* Left a message that I would like to work on that ticket

Oleksii Kadurin

Dec 4, 2016, 3:47:40 PM12/4/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi guys!
I just want to ask the question once again to be sure I got it correctly.
Is there a way/steps to create a bug ticket and make it be reserved/assigned to a reported if he/her wants to work on it ?
Cause now it looks like the workflow in the documentation differs from the reality.
Thanks!

PhistucK

Dec 4, 2016, 4:38:19 PM12/4/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I guess your sentence slipped through in that issue you filed. Perhaps if you added a short standalone comment that says that you have started working on it, it would be considered reserved.
Also, note that once you commit a few patches (or maybe before), you can probably request to have access to edit issues and from there on, you can assign it to yourself by yourself and it will not be problematic anymore.

PhistucK

Oleksii Kadurin

Dec 4, 2016, 4:55:44 PM12/4/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Yes, my question was based on the ticket I created. At the end of the very first my message there I left a couple of sentences:
I would like to work on this ticket.
I've already made a fix and going to upload it in a moment.
And still it was assigned for another person and fixed the same day by him/her.
So your suggestion is to create a standalone comment for the reservation purpose. Ok, I will try next time I find a bug.
And that time I guess, I shouldn't do any development until get any "sign" of approvement.
Anyway thanks again!

PhistucK

Dec 5, 2016, 2:51:16 AM12/5/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Oh, I did not realize it was also fixed on that same day! :(
I guess a standalone comment would have helped, yeah.

PhistucK

Will Chen

Dec 5, 2016, 3:20:01 PM12/5/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hey Oleksii -

Unfortunately occasionally we get some overlap in work :( I talked with allada@ about some bugs that he could use some help with, and this is a good candidate: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=655203

We'll look for some more issues that you can work on, etc, so we can make sure your work gets used, and of course if there's things you're interested on working on, feel free to let us know on specific issues or you can let me know about a general area and I'll talk to someone on our team who can carve out some work.

Best,
Will

Oleksii Kadurin

Dec 5, 2016, 3:32:44 PM12/5/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, chenw...@google.com
Hi Will!
Thanks for reply and explanation. I will take a look at the ticket you specified and will answer after some investigation.