How to trace Google microphone search failure: No Internet connection

Larry LACa

Jul 8, 2017, 2:48:06 AM7/8/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Since May 2017 the Chrome help forum has been getting more complaints about
  'I click the Google search microphone and get a 'No Internet connection' failure.
  I clearly have an internet connection, I've reached google.com and text search works'

We used to see a few of these per month, now I'm seeing several per week.
There is a bug open (issue 717419), but it's not going anywhere because we can't isolate the cause.
It's probably other software (and sometimes malware), that blocks the mic connection and
depends on some Chrome config change, like an auto-update.

How can I advise users how to trace the failure?
  Where to look in dev-console?
  What to watch in net-internals?  etc.

I'm one of the minions that contribute to the help forum.
I have a CM background, but need help on the details of using the tools.
Private email OK.

For a summary of what's been tried, sometimes works and sometimes doesn't,  look here

Sorry If this is a duplicate post.

PhistucK

Jul 8, 2017, 2:54:33 AM7/8/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
First, the Chrome team seems to be looking at that bug, so it will hopefully be triaged and handled soon.

Second, please, do not direct such issues to this group, it is about a very specific feature of Google Chrome - the Developer Tools (the feature you see when you press F12), not about general browser or web development issues. Of all of the various Chrome/Chromium groups, chromium-discuss is the preferred group for such issues.

PhistucK

Larry LACa

Jul 22, 2017, 6:46:48 PM7/22/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hey again from the dev tools group.

For whatever reason I missed your reply here.. lost in the mail. Will track this reply to find the problem.

What I was asking is how to use the dev console to trace the mic failure.
Still looking for a dev-console how-to tutorial.

thx again

Larry LACa

Jul 22, 2017, 7:08:40 PM7/22/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
once more..

I got an email of my post today 7/22,
but didn't get an email with your  7/7 reply.

Can you post a 1 line reply so I can track email on your comments?

Do I have to star my own (author) post to get email notices?

On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 11:54:33 PM UTC-7, PhistucK wrote:
First, the Chrome team seems to be looking at that bug, so it will hopefully be triaged and handled soon.

PhistucK

Jul 23, 2017, 1:52:36 AM7/23/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
When you join the group, it lets you pick whether you want to get notified of posts, and/or only of posts in which you participated.
If you start a thread using e-mail and did not pick to get notified of posts but picked to only get notified of posts in which you participated, a Google Groups bug exists where you do not get notified about it. If you start a thread using the web interface, you might get notified. Starring the thread should help, yes, but I cannot guarantee that. ;)

It is not immediately obvious how to trace the speech failure using the Developer Tools, though. Sorry.

PhistucK

Larry LACa

Jul 23, 2017, 1:16:12 PM7/23/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
FYI: received email notification of your dev-tools 7/22 response.

I started the topic from the Web.  I think I had just joined the group.  I had to wait for my post to be approved.
I checked my email settings: Auto subscribe to updts for posted items: is on

I suspect the missing email is yet another context bug: just joined, 1st post, you: quick response (+6min); pretty lo-pri issue.

Is there a better technical group to post for Chrome problems? Dev-tools is probably 1 level too deep. The Chrome Help forum is very user oriented.  Looking for folks who can process the internals. Something in between Chrome Help and Dev-tools..

PhistucK

Jul 23, 2017, 4:03:48 PM7/23/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Yep, chromium-discuss, like I mentioned in my first reply. :)

PhistucK

Larry

Jul 23, 2017, 4:20:46 PM7/23/17
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Got it! Thx - trying reply via email..

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Google Chrome Developer Tools" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-chrome-developer-tools/CABc02_Kmc8sxhmqYbA_fvUitfA4hCaBWLg1AK8TLd%3DbKVEEwmg%40mail.gmail.com.