Is Google Caja still alive?

John Bosley

Jan 18, 2016, 1:06:57 PM1/18/16
to Google Caja Discuss
I'm really interested in Google Caja, but the playground appears to be completely broken, I'm just getting "Error: Server error" messages, and I see that someone reported this on the GitHub site back in September, and it obviously hasn't been fixed.

Can someone tell me whether anyone is still active on this project, or if there is anything that has superseded it?

I'm also interested, if anyone knows: Is Caja able to prevent the CSS from the host web page from overriding the CSS in the embedded application. If so I'd be really interested to know how they achieve that.

thanks,
John

Kevin Reid

Jan 19, 2016, 2:57:05 PM1/19/16
to Google Caja Discuss
On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 2:03 AM, John Bosley <bosle...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm really interested in Google Caja, but the playground appears to be completely broken, I'm just getting "Error: Server error" messages, and I see that someone reported this on the GitHub site back in September, and it obviously hasn't been fixed.

Can someone tell me whether anyone is still active on this project, or if there is anything that has superseded it?

Sorry about that. Caja is being maintained in a few people's spare time, mostly mine, and I've been busy with other work and scheduling issues. So, basically all my fault.

What's broken in the playground is ES5/3 mode (which nobody should be using) and loading the examples. If you type/paste your content it should load fine.

The playground is due for a replacement, really — it has lots of code and UI that is left-over from ES5/3 mode and doesn't really make sense. There's a lighter-weight version of the same idea in the source tree called “generic-host-page”, but it is a little too minimal.

I'm also interested, if anyone knows: Is Caja able to prevent the CSS from the host web page from overriding the CSS in the embedded application. If so I'd be really interested to know how they achieve that.

In the typical pattern of use, no. However, you can, instead of providing a HTML element as the container, provide an <iframe>'s document. If you do, then it will behave as iframes usually do, including not sharing styles.