.NET Exception from Groups.CreateGroup when group exists

David McMurray

Sep 10, 2012, 6:17:44 AM9/10/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There are some occasions when our system is slightly out of sync with Google, when an email group is removed from our system but not removed from Google. When the same group is then later recreated in our local system it then tries to add the group in Google and because the group exists in Google already I would expect an 'EntityExists (1300)' AppsException, but what I get instead is a .NET exception as follows:

Execution of request failed: https://apps-apis.google.com/a/feeds/group/2.0/<my-domain>

This seems to be consistent, in that whenever I call AppsService.Groups.CreateGroup(groupId, groupName, description, emailPermission) for a group that exists I always get the above exception.

I was using version 1.9.0.0 of the DLLs but upgraded to 2.1.0.0 to see if the issue had been resolved already, but I still get the same error.

Is this intentional or should CreateGroup return the 1300 EntityExists error? It's just that it's difficult to determine if the group creation was successful or not from the response. We could make a separate call to retrieve the group first but in most cases the groups don't already exist, so it would seem a little inefficient to check first.

Regards,
David McMurray.

David McMurray

Sep 18, 2012, 6:38:44 AM9/18/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
No takers?

Is anyone using the .NET library and not seeing an exception when trying to create a group that already exists?

Regards,
David McMurray