Adding members to an Apps Group using Provisioning API

Arget

Sep 27, 2012, 6:07:43 AM9/27/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
I'm adding members to a Google Apps group, and I ran into a limit. The documentation here <http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2656993&topic=14869&ctx=topic> says:
"These limits apply only to actions performed in the Groups web interface. Domain administrators can add more members to a group using the Google Apps admin control panel or the Google Apps Provisioning API."

When I went through the Apps Provisioning API, I came across this line: "In addition, for a free Google Apps account, a group can contain up to 100 members." <https://developers.google.com/google-apps/provisioning/#adding_a_member_to_a_group>

My questions are:
1) When it said "In addition, for a free Google Apps account, a group can contain up to 100 members." did it mean that (for a free Apps account) the Apps Group can have a maximum of 100 members, or that the admin can add maximum 100 new members per day?

2) Does that mean for a paid Apps account, the group can have unlimited members? Or unlimited new member additions per day? If there is a limit, what is it?

3) If I were to exceed this limit, would the Google Apps Provisioning API throw an error? ie: If I used the Provisioning API to add 101 members with a free Apps account, would the API throw an error or regard it as some sort of security risk?

Thanks,
Arget

Patricia N Goldweic

Sep 27, 2012, 10:38:25 AM9/27/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

As far as I understand it, the reply to 1) is that with a free account the maximum number of members in a group is 100 (certainly not a 100 per day kind of thing). Note that this is NOT the case in Google Apps for Business or Google Apps for Education accounts.

In terms of 2), I believe the number of members is unlimited for these accounts. Also, you can add an unlimited number of members to a group using the provisioning api.  However, one would not be able to do this through the user interface, which does have the limit (this is what the first url you refer to explains).

3) The second url you mention does explain that the API will throw an error (a ‘quota error’). Please read the first few paragraphs carefully.

Disclaimer: I am not a Google employee; just a user of the API, so the above is based on my understanding of the documentation.

-Patricia

Arget

Oct 3, 2012, 3:55:41 AM10/3/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com

Thanks a lot Patricia!! That was very helpful.