Does the provisioning API allow you to update a Groups email address?

David Hardwick

Mar 21, 2012, 10:52:30 PM3/21/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We need to change the email address of an existing group.  When we use the provisioning API to change the group email address, the response we received back from the Google Provisioning API shows the new email address in the response.  Yippee!

Hold on, stop the celebration, because when we check the group using the web-based Google Groups interface, the old email address remains as it was.

It is possible to change the email address of an existing Google Group using the Provisioning API?  If so, then any tips or tricks we are missing?

Regards,
  -Hardwick

Claudio Cherubino

Mar 21, 2012, 10:59:09 PM3/21/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

The Provisioning API doesn't support renaming a group.
You can write a script that creates a new group, copies all members from the old one and deletes it, but you will lose the group's history.

Claudio

David Hardwick

Mar 22, 2012, 7:43:40 AM3/22/12
to Google Apps Domain Information and Management APIs
Thanks for the quick response, Claudio. Okay dokey, we'll go that
route.

Paul Robson

Aug 28, 2012, 7:46:13 AM8/28/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
Having found this post, I wanted to check that it is still the case that groups can't be renamed.
We are starting a new academic year and want to keep the history from all of our teaching classes last year so wanted to rename the groups to effectively archive them.  We would then create a whole set of new groups for this years teaching classes, which unfortunately have the same names, but different memberships from last year.

Many thanks

Paul

Claudio

David Hardwick