Provisioning API no longer returns Name info of Suspended Users

Jane Zuzek

Oct 5, 2012, 9:56:06 AM10/5/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It seems that something has changed in recent weeks (some time since
September 15) such that the python Provisioning API RetrieveUser
function no longer returns Name information in the UserEntry record of
Suspended users. If I view a suspended user via the web interface, I
can still see the user's family_name and given_name displayed, yet the
RetrieveUser function returns 'None' for both of those values.

I don't understand why this would be changed, since I think it's quite
valuable to be able to retrieve name attributes of suspended users.

If I "restore" a suspended user, the RetrieveUser function again will
happily return family_name and given_name values.

Is there a way, through the API, to retrieve family_name and given_name
values for any user, regardless of whether they're Active or Suspended?

Thanks.

Jane Zuzek

Jay Lee

Oct 6, 2012, 7:59:13 AM10/6/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jane,

  I'm not seeing this issue with GAM:

$ gam update user karl suspended on
$ gam info user karl
First Name: Karl
Last Name: Smith
Is an admin: false
Has agreed to terms: true
IP Whitelisted: false
Account Suspended: true
Must Change Password: false
Email Aliases (Nicknames):
Groups:

However, GAM uses the multidomain API call, maybe try updating your app to use multidomain?

Jay

Brian Hurley

Oct 9, 2012, 4:10:25 PM10/9/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
I'm experiencing the same problem with the PHP Provisioning API.  I've opened a support issue with Google.  I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Brian

Brian Hurley

Oct 9, 2012, 5:31:12 PM10/9/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking Google might say the PHP (or Python) libraries are not supported.  The only provisioning library that I could tell is supported is the .NET library ( https://developers.google.com/google-apps/provisioning/#using_the_provisioning_api ) ( https://code.google.com/p/google-gdata/downloads/list ).

I've reproduced the problem using the supported .NET library so I'm hopeful Google will fix the problem.

Brian

Jay Lee

Oct 11, 2012, 10:02:45 PM10/11/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
Are you using the original Provisioning API Call:

or the multidomain call:

GAM always uses the multidomain call, I'm wondering if that may be the difference here...

Can you try querying the same domain with GAM and see if it properly returns true or false for users?

Jay

Jane Zuzek

Oct 12, 2012, 9:54:26 AM10/12/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
I did some brief testing with the multidomain version, and was able to retrieve name information of a suspended account.  But something has apparently changed regarding the original Provisioning API.

Is the original Provisioning API going away?

Obviously, conversion to the multidomain version would entail a re-write and testing of our existing software.

Jane

Jay Lee

Oct 14, 2012, 8:18:38 PM10/14/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
The multidomain calls are still marked as experimental so the single domain calls should still work. Google's currently policy is to not deprecate an API until 1 year after it's replacement is announced and no replacement has been announced.

Can someone file a issue at:

Once the issue is filed, post here and we can star it. Also, if you have a Google Apps for Business or Edu account, I suggest you file a support ticket describing the issue and referring to this thread so Google can see the issue is affecting multiple domains and prioritize it properly.

Jay
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-apps-mgmt-apis+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Jane Zuzek

Oct 15, 2012, 8:56:26 AM10/15/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
I've filed this as issue 3262.  Thanks, Jay.

Jane

Jay Lee

Oct 16, 2012, 9:53:59 AM10/16/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
If you're on this thread, you should probably star:

Jay

Brian Hurley

Oct 17, 2012, 10:27:04 AM10/17/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
I have the Edu version and I opened a support issue a week ago.  I just heard back.  Google will fix the problem but it might be a while.

Here's the response from Google:
Thank you for your message. I was able to reproduce this using my own test domain with the same results that you saw.
I have reported the issue to the product team in order to get this fixed. However, it may take a while to resolve. As soon as I have more information for you I will let you know.
And another that gives a (very slow) workaround:
I forgot to mention in my last message that there is a workaround that you can use until this is resolved. Retrieving a list of all users instead of a specific account causes the familyName and givenName fields to be populated. This happens regardless of whether the user is suspended.

Jay Lee

Oct 17, 2012, 8:42:55 PM10/17/12
to google-app...@googlegroups.com
Instead of that, I'd recommend just updating your code to use the multi-domain API retrieve user call, it works just fine even if you only have one domain...

Jay