GAM Delegation Temp Error

Jared Mayer

Oct 17, 2017, 12:07:02 AM10/17/17
to GAM for G Suite
Hey Team,

Using GAM and GAMADV-X. Unable to grant delegate access all day today. Is there a known bug or issue?

GAM:

c:\GAM>gam user  XX@XX  delegate to XX@XX
Giving XX@XX delegate access to XX@XX (1/1)
Temporary error: 500, Backing off: 16 seconds, Retry: 4/10
Temporary error: 500, Backing off: 32 seconds, Retry: 5/10

GAMADVX:
Temporary error: 500 - Unknown Error, Backing off: 16 seconds, Retry: 4/10

Anyone else experiencing this?

Cheers
Jared

Andy Poirier

Oct 17, 2017, 10:13:26 AM10/17/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
How long ago was the user you're trying to delegate suspended?

Andy Poirier

Sr. IT Engineer

W E D D I N G W I R E

301 231 9473

an...@weddingwire.com

websitefacebookinstagramlinkedin

The information contained in this email is privileged and confidential and intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please respect that confidentiality and do not disclose, copy or make use of its contents. If received in error, please destroy this email and contact the sender immediately. Thank you.

Ross Scroggs

Oct 17, 2017, 10:23:55 AM10/17/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Jared,

It's working for me.

These temporary errors are just that, ultimately the command comes to some conclusion.

For GAMADV-X, was this all the output you got?
Temporary error: 500 - Unknown Error, Backing off: 16 seconds, Retry: 4/10

What's the ouput from: gam user XX@XX show delegates
(XX@XX) is this case is the delegator

Ross

The information contained in this email is privileged and confidential and intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please respect that confidentiality and do not disclose, copy or make use of its contents. If received in error, please destroy this email and contact the sender immediately. Thank you.

Jared Mayer

Oct 17, 2017, 3:13:45 PM10/17/17
to GAM for G Suite
I do not believe the accounts have been suspended. Newly provisioned in the last week. Active, and assigned license, and Gmail service enabled.

Ive also tried with "changepassword" set to OFF (as it was on, but this made no difference).

Running latest version 4.32 of GAM now. Same issue.

Jared Mayer

Oct 17, 2017, 3:25:21 PM10/17/17
to GAM for G Suite
Hey Ross.

Still same issue - Full output:

c:\gamadvx>gam user XX delegate to XX
Delegator: XX@XX, Add 1 Delegate
Temporary error: 500 - Unknown Error, Backing off: 16 seconds, Retry: 4/10
Temporary error: 500 - Unknown Error, Backing off: 32 seconds, Retry: 5/10
Temporary error: 500 - Unknown Error, Backing off: 60 seconds, Retry: 6/10
Temporary error: 500 - Unknown Error, Backing off: 60 seconds, Retry: 7/10
Temporary error: 500 - Unknown Error, Backing off: 60 seconds, Retry: 8/10
Temporary error: 500 - Unknown Error, Backing off: 60 seconds, Retry: 9/10
Temporary error: 500 - Unknown Error, Backing off: 60 seconds, Retry: 10/10
  Delegator: cx@XX, Delegate:XX@XX, Add Failed: Google delegation error, delegator and delegate both exist and are valid for delegation

Mail delegation is enabled on the domain. Is there any options to get more information on the API error so I can log a meaningful ticket to Google?

Jared Mayer

Oct 17, 2017, 3:26:48 PM10/17/17
to GAM for G Suite
Output of displaying delegates:

c:\gamadvx>gam user XX show delegates
Delegator: XX@XX Show 0 Delegates

Ross Scroggs

Oct 17, 2017, 3:34:18 PM10/17/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Jared,

I'm assuming that you're really typing: gam user XX delegate to YY

This is all the infomation that the API returns: Google delegation error, delegator and delegate both exist and are valid for delegation

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-apps-manager.

Ross Scroggs

Oct 17, 2017, 3:45:05 PM10/17/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Jared,

What I said in my last response is not true: This is all the infomation that the API returns: Google delegation error, delegator and delegate both exist and are valid for delegation
That's actually a GAM message.
The API returns some error: does_not_exist, name_not_valid but doesn't say which one doesn't exist.
GAM checks if the delegator exists and isn't suspended and not required to change passwaord at next login.
GAM checks if the delegate exists and isn't suspended and not required to change passwaord at next login.
If both delegator and delegate are OK, then you get the message you're seeing.
The issue then is, why did the initial command fail?

Try running with debug: gam config debug_level 4 user xxx delegate to yy

Ross

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-apps-manager.

Jared Mayer

Oct 17, 2017, 4:10:58 PM10/17/17
to GAM for G Suite
Correct. Was delegating user XX to user YY (sorry bad blacklisting of addresses).

Very strange, but I ran the debug and it worked and delegated the mailboxes.

Running bulk delegation script and it is not applying it. Not sure where it went wrong. Maybe just a very long temporary error in the backend.

Case closed! Thanks eveyone!