How to run GAM after installation and initial setup

Austin

Apr 25, 2017, 6:28:06 AM4/25/17
to GAM for G Suite
Hello,

Just discovered GAM and have a newbie question. I installed GAM, configured and worked great to do what I needed.

I'm on latest version of Mac OS so using Terminal and latest version of GAM (4.21). GAM is installed in bin/gam but I don't know how to run it.

Opening bin/gam/gam executable

shows:

Usage: gam [OPTIONS]...

GAM. Retrieve or set G Suite domain,

user, group and alias settings. Exhaustive list of commands

Examples:

gam info domain

gam create user jsmith firstname John lastname Smith password secretpass

gam update user jsmith suspended on

gam.exe update group announcements add member jsmith

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

[Process completed]

But I'm unable to run any commands or enter any text in the Terminal session.

Thanks,

Austin

+KimNilsson

Apr 27, 2017, 8:46:53 AM4/27/17
to GAM for G Suite
It is a terminal program, so you have to type the exact and complete command what you want GAM to do.
You definitely need to read the wiki.

PJ1004

Sep 28, 2017, 10:09:12 PM9/28/17
to GAM for G Suite
Try running this from your Terminal.app:

echo "export PATH=\"~/bin/gam/:\$PATH\"" > ~/.bash_profile

Then quit the terminal and try typing:

gam info org "/"

...and see if it has worked.

--
PJ

TLuther

Dec 15, 2017, 8:20:20 AM12/15/17
to GAM for G Suite
The wiki kind of fails to explain getting started post setup.

When I try to run a command, Terminal just returns
gam: command not found

There doesn't seem to be any documentation regarding whether you need to initiate a session or enter your g suite credentials.

Kim Nilsson

Dec 16, 2017, 5:05:46 AM12/16/17
to Google Apps Manager
It's true that there are things "missing".

However, there should also be a sort of lowest requirement of knowledge of how to use the terminal before one even tries to venture into using terminal tools. There are probably tens of thousands of websites that explain how to set up an alias, and all other basic functions of the terminal. So you can't really fault the developers of this particular terminal tool.

Also, isn't the wiki editable? Usually, resources on github are all editable, or at least amendable/forkable, so anyone can add the necessary text and do a pull request, so the devs don't have to do everything themselves.

✉ Kevin Melillo

Dec 18, 2017, 8:20:50 AM12/18/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Also, when the install process is done, the alias is set up for you, but you usually have to exit, and re-enter the terminal for any of the aliases to be active.  Have you given that a try?

Kevin Melillo
Electronic Communications Analyst
Information Technology
445 Hoes Lane
Piscataway, NJ 08854

Phone:732-465-6609 | Mobile: 732-609-4331