print users issues with 3.42

Andrew Moore

Feb 19, 2015, 5:06:36 PM2/19/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
was using this command on 3.21: print users firstname lastname ou suspended orderby email query 'orgUnitPath=/OUNAME'
but on 3.42 its ignoring my selection of names and brings back all the names. first, whole, last

so even if I do: print users firstname ou suspended orderby email query 'orgUnitPath=/OUNAME' it brings back all the names

andrew...@aims.edu,Moore,Andrew Moore,Andrew,/OUNAME,False,

The suspended is also bring back the suspended reason if they are, which I do not need but not affecting a ton.

The print names bug is critical for me since I am using an awk command that compares columns to determine certain changes...and this changes the column numbers/layout

Andrew Moore

Feb 19, 2015, 5:53:09 PM2/19/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
looks like the problem started with the print user rewrite on 3.3 before 3.3 it works as intended after I cant get the print users to bring back the single name item I request, it always brings back all name columns

Andrew Moore

Feb 23, 2015, 2:14:29 PM2/23/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
any help on this would be really appreciated it.

Jay Lee?

Brian Gray

Feb 23, 2015, 2:48:31 PM2/23/15

On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 3:06:36 PM UTC-7, Andrew Moore wrote:
was using this command on 3.21: print users firstname lastname ou suspended orderby email query 'orgUnitPath=/OUNAME'
but on 3.42 its ignoring my selection of names and brings back all the names. first, whole, last

so even if I do: print users firstname ou suspended orderby email query 'orgUnitPath=/OUNAME' it brings back all the names

andrew...@aims.edu,Moore,Andrew Moore,Andrew,/OUNAME,False,

Andrew -

I'm not certain that I understand what you're asking about.  I think you're saying that your command is returning information in all accounts instead of just the accounts in a specific OU.  If that's the problem you're seeing, I think that it's because the syntax for the query is not quite right.  This is an example of a query that reports all users in the top-level OU named Other.

C:\gam> gam print users email orderby email query "orgUnitPath='/Other'"

that's: query space double-quote orgUnitPath= single-quote OU-with-path single-quote double-quote

The outer double-quotes enclose the entire query string.  The inner single-quotes enclose the value you're searching for.

The options for the query command are here: http://goo.gl/WVefXt

If that's not your question, please give us a bit more info about what's not working.

bkg

Andrew Moore

Feb 23, 2015, 3:32:55 PM2/23/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
the issue is not with all accounts, the OU part works fine

the issue is that i am bring to bring back just the First and last name, but its always pulling back first, full, and last even if i specify only the first or last names. it always brings back all three after version 3.3

Brian Gray

Feb 23, 2015, 4:46:48 PM2/23/15

On Monday, February 23, 2015 at 2:32:55 PM UTC-6, Andrew Moore wrote:
the issue is not with all accounts, the OU part works fine

the issue is that i am bring to bring back just the First and last name, but its always pulling back first, full, and last even if i specify only the first or last names. it always brings back all three after version 3.3

Ahhh...I misunderstood what you meant in your first message ("it brings back all the names").  I'm seeing the same behavior that you are - more columns than expected are returned.

Andrew Moore

Feb 23, 2015, 4:49:12 PM2/23/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
yeah i reread my original question after i got your response and was like..."yeah i can see where i was confusing"  :)

Andrew Moore

Feb 27, 2015, 4:12:46 PM2/27/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Any update on when this may be fixed? I cant move past 3.2 until it is

Andrew Moore

Mar 3, 2015, 10:22:56 AM3/3/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Jay Lee any progress on an update to Version 3.42 to fix the issue with print users onlying bringing back the request columns for names. like first or last or full instead of all three no matter what?

Brian Gray was able to confirm he is having the same experience

Jay Lee

Mar 3, 2015, 11:19:01 AM3/3/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I'm aware of the issue. Due to how names are returned by the API, I made changes awhile back that cause any use of firstname, lastname or even just name in the command to return all name columns in the CSV. If this is really needed I can look into adding back the complexity that only pulls the one column but I would like to understand why your script can't just ignore the columns it doesn't need?

I don't have any ETA for the next release of GAM.

Jay Lee

Andrew Moore

Mar 3, 2015, 12:11:55 PM3/3/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jay,

Thank you for the response. I can definitely make the change my script to look for different column numbers and pull only what I want.

I just didn’t want to make the change then have it be fixed and have it rebreak it in future updates.

If the ability to pull back only certain names has been removed, no worries.

Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a glitch, also can you remove the documentation part that references being able to pull back individual names?

Thank you for getting back to me, now that I have a response I will move forward with updating my script accordingly