unintended consequence from Group permissions change

Tucker Perry

Apr 21, 2017, 2:09:31 PM4/21/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi team,

When I change who can view topics in a group, it also changes the Post permission, removing the ability for the public to post.

The use case here is a group akin to ap@domain, or recruiting@domain, groups where anyone in the world should be able to post, but only members should be able to read.

Is this intended behavior? Is there some way to prevent it, or do I need to record current state before making any changes so I can do a second pass on any groups to reset the public post flag?

thanks
tucker

--
tucker
eng. mgr.

+KimNilsson

Apr 24, 2017, 5:59:34 AM4/24/17
to GAM for G Suite
You don't need to record current state.
Just run GAM a second time and set Post setting after setting the View setting.

Tucker Perry

Apr 24, 2017, 11:54:05 AM4/24/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
If I'm doing this against hundreds of groups with mixed Post settings, I have no way of knowing what to set the flag to on a second pass unless I record the initial state.

--
tucker
eng. mgr.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 2:59 AM, +KimNilsson <there.is.no...@gmail.com> wrote:
You don't need to record current state.
Just run GAM a second time and set Post setting after setting the View setting.

Tucker Perry

Apr 26, 2017, 2:28:03 PM4/26/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hopped on a call with Ross and we found the root cause. In the admin
console, we have "Group owners can allow incoming email from outside
this domain" set to FALSE. Changing this to TRUE makes the issue go
away.

I can see how they're connected, but I'm surprised that my action as
an admin is regulated by a setting relevant to users, as well as not
being the target of my settings change.

--
tucker
eng. mgr.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Tucker Perry <tuc...@uber.com> wrote:
> If I'm doing this against hundreds of groups with mixed Post settings, I
> have no way of knowing what to set the flag to on a second pass unless I
> record the initial state.
>

> --
> tucker
> eng. mgr.
>
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 2:59 AM, +KimNilsson
> <there.is.no...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You don't need to record current state.
>> Just run GAM a second time and set Post setting after setting the View
>> setting.

Kim Nilsson

Apr 27, 2017, 4:02:19 AM4/27/17
to Google Apps Manager
Ah, glad you found a solution!

--
There is No Substitute!

Tucker Perry

Apr 27, 2017, 12:24:39 PM4/27/17
to GAM for G Suite, Kim.N...@no-substitute.com
More a workaround than a solution, but it seems that GAM isn't the only tool impacted by this. The 3rd party admin console we use does the same thing. Seems like an oddity in the API's behavior. I've got a ticket open w Google on it, and I'll update the group if there's any progress there.

Tucker Perry

Apr 28, 2017, 1:04:51 PM4/28/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, Kim.N...@no-substitute.com
Via Google support:

Investigating further on my side with these new details, I found the issue #32460496 which match this behavior you are seeing and is already reported on the Engineering Team side. While this is under investigation with the Engineering Team, there is no ETA that can be shared at this time for a full resolution.

Please note that there is a workaround in place which consist, where possible, to use HTTP PUT method instead of PATCH. Another way to mitigate this issue, as you have already noticed is to have the checkbox "Group owners can allow incoming email from outside this domain" which in your testing had this behavior disappear.

--
tucker
eng. mgr.