Started getting a Error 400: Invalid input error

Andrew Moore

Jun 24, 2015, 11:39:01 AM6/24/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I have doubled checked my scripts and CSV files and everything looks good and the nothing has changes.

But I am now getting this error:

Error 400: Invalid Input: $6$rounds=500000$ZIX255dKD221c6oC$r4Zvra6NP6UzKJ3ffrAn40peO/NjfFTkoyssYwB4SQ2eoDp83pR0KRuGBsiCbTiEVCY03aHlmgPNsph3sP7e./ - invalid

Error 400: Invalid Input: $6$rounds=500000$i8VnOTpygiCRlMhK$njG4tqUqiaD2KH9g5pyIw8/MERjyAHCDjKUu719Uyi3vRMHNNpR30sumCOdt5i4v1iu/4bBtKQIgbfvGaQo5j/ - invalid

Temp error backendError. Backing off 16 seconds...
Temp error backendError. Backing off 16 seconds...
Temp error backendError. Backing off 16 seconds...
Temp error backendError. Backing off 16 seconds...
Temp error backendError. Backing off 16 seconds...attempt 5/10
attempt 5/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 32 seconds...
Temp error backendError. Backing off 32 seconds...attempt 5/10
attempt 5/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 32 seconds...
Temp error backendError. Backing off 32 seconds...attempt 5/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 32 seconds...attempt 6/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 6/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 6/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 6/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 6/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 7/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 7/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 7/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 7/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 7/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 8/10
attempt 8/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 8/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 8/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 8/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...

I am on Version 3.42, i have not tried updating it yet. I did try deleting the gamcache folder to see if that would help and it did not

It started between 4pm and 630pm Mountain Time 6/23/15

Jay Lee

Jun 24, 2015, 11:42:47 AM6/24/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
This is fixed in 3.45. Upgrade to the latest or add "nohash" to the end of the command (which means the password will be sent in plaintext over GAM's TLS HTTPS connection to Google.

Jay Lee

Andrew Moore

Jun 24, 2015, 11:54:13 AM6/24/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
one thing of note.

The query to pull down info from Google works fine, only when making a change or adding a user am i getting the error.

Oddly enough adding users to Groups is not causing an error.

Andrew Moore

Jun 24, 2015, 12:31:52 PM6/24/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jay Lee,

I was hoping the update was the answer so i am already in the process of testing it to make sure nothing else breaks.

Thank you,

Andrew
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-apps-manager+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
--

Jay Lee

Ryan London

Jun 24, 2015, 5:49:20 PM6/24/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I was getting the same sort of error, and I did the update to 3.45, but now I find that when I create an account or change a password, it looks like it works, but the password is messed up on Google's side.

In other words, I can run:

gam create user tpassword firstname 'Test' lastname 'Password' password 'Test1234'

It looks like it works, and I can see the user in the Admin Console, but I can't log in as them.

Then I can use the Admin console to change their password, and that works OK, but if I then run:

gam update user tpassword password 'NewPass'

Again, it looks like it works, but I can't log in as tpassword. And the old password doesn't work either.

Did I need to do something else when I updated? I just downloaded gam-3.45-windows.zip and replaced the files in my current GAM folder with the ones in the ZIP. (BTW, I'm running GAM off a Win 2008 R2 32 bit server.)

Any ideas? thanks

Ryan London

Jun 25, 2015, 10:39:18 AM6/25/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I think I figured out my problem, GAM is passing the half-quotes as part of the password.

This morning I ran:
Gam create user tpassword4 firstname 'Test' lastname 'Password' password 'test1234'

And while I was testing it I noticed that the name displayed in the Admin Console was 'Test' 'Password'

So, with a working password in place, I ran:
gam update user tpassword4 password 'test9876'
updating user tpass...@bla.bla.bla...

And found that I had to enter 'test9876' for the password to log in. However, when I ran:
gam update user tpassword4 password test9876
updating user tpass...@bla.bla.bla...

I was able to log in with test9876.

So now I just have to make sure none of my scripts encase the password in quotes, then I have to see if this messes up OUs, as they have to be quoted because they contain spaces.

I'll report back once all the testing is done.

Thanks

Jay Lee

Jun 25, 2015, 10:42:24 AM6/25/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

GAM just takes what your command line shell hands it in terms of arguments. If GAM is seeing the single quotes then it's because your shell isn't processing them. Try using double quotes.

Jay Lee

Andrew Moore

Jun 25, 2015, 10:46:38 AM6/25/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I had the same issue and had to switch to using no quotes on passwords as well, which has been working fine
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-apps-manager+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
--

Jay Lee

Ryan London

Jun 25, 2015, 12:12:24 PM6/25/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Jay, you were right. I checked my scripts and found that they use double-quotes, and are working fine. I had added single quotes to the script that runs when an AD password is updated, which then updates Google, before I did the update. So after the update it still wasn't working, and stupid me kept typing in single-quotes when I was manually testing. If I hadn't tested with single quotes I wouldn't have had to bang my head against the wall all day.

On that note. I want to thank you for making such an awesome program! it has allowed us to automate so much around here, and is an immense time saver.

Thanks.

Bri Hatch

Jun 25, 2015, 8:02:48 PM6/25/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
If this is on linux/unix, then there is no relevant difference between single and double quotes in the case of text that contains no spaces or quote marks.

These are equivalent:

gam update user tpassword4 password test1234
gam update user tpassword4 password 'test1234'
gam update user tpassword4 password "test1234"

Where you need to be careful is if you want quotes *in* the content, e.g.

Wrong - looks like you've started a quoted string you never finish:
        gam update user tpassword4 lastname O'Brien

Wrong - you can't put a single quote in a single quoted string:
        gam update user tpassword4 lastname 'O'Brien'

Correct - single quotes in double quotes are fine
        gam update user tpassword4 lastname "O'Brien"

Or, if for some reason you want to use variables, e.g. $username, you need to use double quotes *if* you want to have them inside quotes:

Correct:
        username=alice
        gam update user $username firstname Alice

Correct:
        gam update user "$username" firstname Alice

Wrong - this literally tries to affect a user name $username

        gam update user '$username' firstname Alice

Lastly, if you have a thing with spaces it needs to be quoted so it doesn't look
like a new command line prameter:

Correct:
        gam update user jp firstname "Jean Phillipe"
        gam update user jp firstname 'Jean Phillipe'

        username='Jean Phillipe'
        gam update user jp firstname "$username"

Anyone interested in starting a gam wiki page on this topic? It seems to come up a lot.

Jay Lee

Bri Hatch, Systems and Security Engineer. http://www.ifokr.org/bri/

I have a deep and profound love for this new licensing set
  up. I get all misty even writing about it.
--matt