GoogleDriveManagement Token Error - unauthorized_client: Client is unauthorized to retrieve...

Joe Tierney

Feb 3, 2017, 4:50:45 PM2/3/17
to GAM for G Suite
GAM hums like a well oiled machine. It's a beautiful gift. I use it constantly. One scope I've never gotten to work is any command related to GoogleDriveManagement

GAM generates the error: Authentication Token Error - unauthorized_client: Client is unauthorized to retrieve access tokens using this method or unauthorized_client: Unauthorized client or scope in request.

So

gam user jsm...@contoso.com show filelist todrive

= error.

I've never had any issue running any other GAM commands related to Users, Groups, OUs, Domains, etc. Any feedback or suggestions welcome.

Ross Scroggs

Feb 3, 2017, 4:55:39 PM2/3/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Joe,

Do: gam user jsm...@contoso.com check serviceaccount

What do you get?

Ross

Joe Tierney

Feb 3, 2017, 5:34:29 PM2/3/17
to GAM for G Suite
"FAIL"  across the board. I've added the client name and scopes ... gave it ~30 minutes. Still fails. Not sure if it depends on the type of domain, this is EDU. I can test on some others.

On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 3:55:39 PM UTC-6, Ross Scroggs wrote:
Joe,

Do: gam user jsm...@contoso.com check serviceaccount

What do you get?

Ross
On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Joe Tierney <joe.t...@umzuzu.com> wrote:
GAM hums like a well oiled machine. It's a beautiful gift. I use it constantly. One scope I've never gotten to work is any command related to GoogleDriveManagement

GAM generates the error: Authentication Token Error - unauthorized_client: Client is unauthorized to retrieve access tokens using this method or unauthorized_client: Unauthorized client or scope in request.

So

gam user jsm...@contoso.com show filelist todrive

= error.

I've never had any issue running any other GAM commands related to Users, Groups, OUs, Domains, etc. Any feedback or suggestions welcome.

Ross Scroggs

Feb 3, 2017, 5:37:44 PM2/3/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Joe,

Sometimes the enabling takes place almost immediately, I've had some users report an hour, patience is a virtue.

Ross

Do: gam user jsm...@contoso.com check serviceaccount

What do you get?

Ross
On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Joe Tierney <joe.t...@umzuzu.com> wrote:
GAM hums like a well oiled machine. It's a beautiful gift. I use it constantly. One scope I've never gotten to work is any command related to GoogleDriveManagement

GAM generates the error: Authentication Token Error - unauthorized_client: Client is unauthorized to retrieve access tokens using this method or unauthorized_client: Unauthorized client or scope in request.

So

gam user jsm...@contoso.com show filelist todrive

= error.

I've never had any issue running any other GAM commands related to Users, Groups, OUs, Domains, etc. Any feedback or suggestions welcome.

Joe Tierney

Joe Tierney

Felix G

Jun 23, 2017, 5:43:43 PM6/23/17
to GAM for G Suite
sorry for the newbie question, how did you add the client name and the scopes?

MDP

Jul 14, 2017, 12:39:25 PM7/14/17
to GAM for G Suite
When you run the check serviceaccount and scopes fail it will give you a URL and instructions.

Dennis M

Sep 10, 2020, 1:10:52 PM9/10/20
to GAM for G Suite
Incase this happens to anyone else!

This error will happen if you are running some commands on a group...

Kept me confused for a while

Ross Scroggs

Sep 10, 2020, 1:55:35 PM9/10/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Dennis,

Can you amplify on what you mean by: "This error will happen if you are running some commands on a group..."

Thanks,

Ross

This message contains information which may be confidential and/or protected by attorney-client privilege.  Unless you are the addressee, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone this message or any information contained in this message.  If you have received this message in error, please send me an email and delete this message.   Thank you.

Mike McLoughlin

Aug 14, 2023, 3:39:38 AM8/14/23
to GAM for Google Workspace
Hi Ross

I just stumbled upon this old thread via a Google search as I was seeing this error while trying to delegate an account.

What Dennis is alluding to is carrying out such tasks on group emails rather than single user accounts, so the following command will fail with that error.

gam user [group email] add delegate [user account]

I hope this helps others arriving here.

- Mike