Syncing Group Membership

Ross Scroggs

Jan 15, 2018, 6:05:23 PM1/15/18
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
As a couple of people have reported, syncing group membership is not performing correctly. This is a Google issue that is easily observable in the Developer's console.
(The problem is that when you ask the API for only the members of a group, it returns all owners, managers and members and identifies all of them as members rather than with their correct role.)

This is not a GAM problem, it is a Google problem. I have sent a message to Jay and hopefully he can use his Google contacts to have the problem corrected quickly.

In the meantime, do not use GAM or my GAMADV-X to sync group membership.

Ross
--
ross.s...@gmail.com

Samuel

Jan 16, 2018, 3:36:13 AM1/16/18
to GAM for G Suite
Thanks
In my case I use

./gam.py print group-members group <group name>

and it seems to work

which command doesn't work

+KimNilsson

Jan 16, 2018, 12:02:05 PM1/16/18
to GAM for G Suite
How much of a problem are we talking about? What can happen? Will it drop users from the group?
I have a scheduled sync that pushes teachers in an OU to a group which is a member of the classroom_teachers group.

Ross Scroggs

Jan 16, 2018, 12:09:21 PM1/16/18
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Kim,

Until the problem is fixed, if you sync the members of a group, all owners and managers will be deleted.

Ross

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 9:02 AM, +KimNilsson <there.is.no...@gmail.com> wrote:
How much of a problem are we talking about? What can happen? Will it drop users from the group?
I have a scheduled sync that pushes teachers in an OU to a group which is a member of the classroom_teachers group.

Kim Nilsson

Jan 16, 2018, 12:27:52 PM1/16/18
to Google Apps Manager
Ok, no worries in my case, then.

Maer Ben-Yisrael

Jan 17, 2018, 7:44:25 AM1/17/18
to GAM for G Suite
In my case, teachers (and the comms director) are owners of their respective class parent groups so they don't get booted during a sync, the membership data for which are spit out by our SIS.

This issue resulted in dumping all the teachers off ~25 groups.

Good times!

Maer...

+KimNilsson

Jan 17, 2018, 10:56:05 AM1/17/18
to GAM for G Suite
Almost 3000 groups, but no owners and managers. :-)

Samuel

Jan 18, 2018, 1:43:41 AM1/18/18
to GAM for G Suite
Which command do you use for sync, bescause I don't see any problem

I my case I do :
get all members of the groups,  one gam command for each group
check members change and run two gam commands add/remove for each group
check owner changes and run two gam commands add/remove for each group

Ross Scroggs

Jan 18, 2018, 11:14:54 AM1/18/18
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Samuel,

You're doing this command:
    gam print group-members group <GroupItem>
In this command, Gam calls the API and requests all owners, managers and members; Google returns the correct data.
You compute the differences and use the following commands to affect the changes:
   gam update group <GroupItem> add [owner|manager|member] <UserTypeEntity>
   gam update group <GroupItem> remove [owner|manager|member] <UserTypeEntity>

Gam can automate this process in many cases with the following command:
   gam update group <GroupItem> sync [owner|manager|member]  <UserTypeEntity>
Gam calls the API to get the current list of owners or managers or members, computes the differences from <UserTypeEntity>
and then does adds/removes as appropriate.
The problem is that when Gam asks for the list of members, Google incorrectly returns the owners and managers (labelled as members)
in addition to the actual members. Consequently, the computed differences are incorrect.

Ross

Samuel

Jan 19, 2018, 1:54:02 AM1/19/18
to GAM for G Suite
Thank you Ross it's much clearer, indeed it's not an command I'm using

Maer Ben-Yisrael

Jan 22, 2018, 12:22:07 PM1/22/18
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Ross,

Any idea if Google has addressed this?

I spent an hour manually fixing the owners, then my cron job "fixed" all that work for me later that night.

sigh

Maer Ben-Yisrael
Technology Director
Directeur des Nouvelles Technologies

510-809-0624 (direct)

Celebrating our Bilingual Community, Inspiring Citizens of the World

Ross Scroggs

Jan 22, 2018, 12:32:40 PM1/22/18
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Maer,

Jay says that Google is aware of the problem but that haven't given him any indication as to when it'll be fixed.

Ross

Jay Lee

Jan 22, 2018, 12:58:42 PM1/22/18
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
If you are affected by this issue please file a google support ticket and ask that it is tagged against internal issue 72045440.

Jay

Maer Ben-Yisrael

Jay Lee

Jan 25, 2018, 8:56:58 AM1/25/18
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
This issue should be fixed on Google's side now. Please report back here if your seeing proper sync behavior or not. I've confirmed it working in my environment but it'd be good to get a few more reports before closing this out.

Will do, thank you!

Maer Ben-Yisrael