Send Welcome Email in GAM

droske

Feb 25, 2016, 11:30:52 AM2/25/16
to Google Apps Manager
Hello All,

Is there a way to send the welcome email to a external domain address? I usually create users one off with:

gam create user username firstname FirstName lastname LastName password Password changepassword on Org "/Yourorg/structure"

Is there any way to add a "send welcome email" with credentials at the end of the cmd? Or even in another one?

Thanks!

Nate Ferrell

Feb 25, 2016, 7:53:31 PM2/25/16
to Google Apps Manager
Within GAM and Google Apps itself, for that matter, I don't believe there is a way to send a Welcome Email outside of the normal Getting Started with Gmail message (If I'm wrong, someone correct me plz)

Depending on your provisioning process, however, you can automate sending of an email that you can customize using tools outside of GAM.

For example, I am running Windows and Powershell, so I would approach this issue by:

  1. Create the users using GAM
  2. After users were created, send each created user a Welcome email using the Send-MailMessage cmdlet
Hopefully this helps!

Doug Roske

Feb 29, 2016, 2:29:55 PM2/29/16
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 4:53 PM, Nate Ferrell <nathanie...@pnmac.com> wrote:
Send-MailMessage cmdlet

​Can you give me an example? Do you have to be using Outlook?​

Doug Roske
Regional Device Manager - WA Region
Summit Public Schools
http://summitps.org/

Nate Ferrell

Feb 29, 2016, 2:41:18 PM2/29/16
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Sure, Doug.

Outlook is not needed, but you will need to know your SMTP server's address.

Here's a sample that will cover the basic requirements of this in Powershell. Just replace the To and From Addresses with actual emails for the user and your admin account, the SMTP server with your SMTP server address, and the Subject / Body with what you'd like.

Keep in mind, this is executed in Powershell (installed on anything Windows 7 or greater)

$MailParams = @{
    To = "New User's Name<user.email@yourdomain.com>"
    From = "Google Admin<google...@yourdomain.com>"
    SmtpServer = "smtp.yourdomain.com"
    Subject = "Welcome to Your New Google Apps Mail Account"
    }
$MailParams.body = "Hello,

We are excited to have you! Please reach out to our Help Desk with any questions you may have.

We look forward to working with you!

- Domain Admin
"

Send-MailMessage @MailParams

Thank you for your time,
Nate Ferrell
Systems Engineer | Google Apps Certified Administrator
x5120 | 817.494.0332

Michael Rother

Apr 19, 2018, 7:16:22 AM4/19/18
to GAM for G Suite
Hi,

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 1:53:31 AM UTC+1, Nate Ferrell wrote:
Within GAM and Google Apps itself, for that matter, I don't believe there is a way to send a Welcome Email outside of the normal Getting Started with Gmail message (If I'm wrong, someone correct me plz)

Well, in the Webadmin of GSuite, you can in fact specify an email address to send the welcome Mail to, so the question by the OP seems valid, if GAM can access that via the API and automatically mail out the changepassword Link that mail includes ... (and maybe also set the "send a copy to myself" field of that dialog?)

Regards,
Michael Rother

+KimNilsson

Apr 19, 2018, 8:32:46 AM4/19/18
to GAM for G Suite

Michael Rother

Apr 19, 2018, 10:00:04 AM4/19/18
to GAM for G Suite
Cool, thanks :)

droske

Jul 20, 2018, 7:22:39 PM7/20/18
to GAM for G Suite
Does GAMADV-X perform some or most of the functions or GAM? Also - are they complimentary install? - Meaning do they need to be side by side, or can they coexist?

Thanks,

Ross Scroggs

Jul 20, 2018, 7:53:32 PM7/20/18
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
GAMADV-X can completely replace GAM, it can run side-by-side while you test.

Ross

Doug Roske

Jul 20, 2018, 10:40:36 PM7/20/18
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Thanks much Ross

Doug Roske
Summit Public Schools

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "GAM for G Suite" group.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-apps-manager.

Steve - DynTech

Jul 23, 2018, 3:33:57 PM7/23/18
to GAM for G Suite
Ross - I don't know why I didn't install GAMADV-X sooner. I just started using it last week, boy have I been missing out all these years.

Doug Roske

Jul 23, 2018, 3:44:28 PM7/23/18
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Here here! I just used it to automate sending welcome emails......

Doug Roske
Summit Public Schools