Signature problems

Ross Scroggs

Nov 13, 2016, 11:30:30 AM11/13/16
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
A couple of users have reported problems with unwanted characters showing up at the beginning of a user's signatures with updating a signature from a file on Windows.
    gam user <user> signature file sig.txt

The unwanted characters are the Unicode Byte Order Mark (BOM); see this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

The UTF-8 BOM 0xEF,0xBB,0xBF will display the characters ï»¿.
The UTF-16 big-endian BOM 0xFE followed by 0xFF will display the  characters þÿ.
The UTF-16 little-endian BOM 0xFF followed by 0xFE will display the characters ÿþ.

You have two choices:
1) Save sig.txt as a Text Document as opposed to a Unicode Text Document and use the command:
    gam user <user> signature file sig.txt
2) Leave sig.txt as a Unicode Text Document and use one of the following commands based on what unwanted characters are displayed:
    gam user <user> signature file sig.txt charset utf-8
    gam user <user> signature file sig.txt charset utf-16

Ross

Jay Lee

Nov 13, 2016, 1:04:52 PM11/13/16
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

It would also be good to understand how these files are being generated. If someone with these issues could offer details on their process and apps they use to create the signature files it would help us understand the issue better.

Jay

Jay

Charles Laverdière

Oct 13, 2017, 11:56:54 AM10/13/17
to GAM for G Suite

I am having the same problem. I will be happy to provide any details.