Problem updating who_can_view_group for certain Google Groups

Mike Brudenell

Oct 9, 2017, 9:52:01 AM10/9/17
to GAM
Hello,

I'm using GAMADV-X version 4.48.12

I've written a script that to check who has visibility of the groups' archives and, if this is more lenient than "only members of the group" to reduce it to this. My script uses GAMADV-X and:
  • gets a list of all the Google Groups in our domain which have who_can_view_group set to something more generous than Members only — ie, to "all in domain" or "everyone on the Internet"
  • prepares a batch file to feed back into GAMADV-X to set who_can_view_group down to all_members_can_view
I check the batch file over and then feed it to gam using its batch command.The entries in the batch file are all of the form

gam update group nameofgroup@york.ac.uk who_can_view_group all_members_can_view

This happily updates the settings for nearly every group in our domain. However there are an obstinate few — 8 out of ~2000 — that it keeps failing to update. For these the batch command produces output such as:

Temporary error: invalid - Can't set messageModerationLevel as MODERATE_NON_MEMBERS when non-members can't post., Backing off: 16 seconds, Retry: 4/10
Temporary error: invalid - Can't set messageModerationLevel as MODERATE_NON_MEMBERS when non-members can't post., Backing off: 32 seconds, Retry: 5/10
Temporary error: invalid - Can't set messageModerationLevel as MODERATE_NON_MEMBERS when non-members can't post., Backing off: 60 seconds, Retry: 9/10

ERROR: 400: invalid - Can't set messageModerationLevel as MODERATE_NON_MEMBERS when non-members can't post.: Giving up.
Group: nameofgroup@york.ac.uk, Updated: API error, some settings not set

But I'm not trying to set messageModerationLevel. (Yes, I've checked the batch file umpteen times, and I'm really not!)

Can anyone give me an idea of what the problem is and how to go about correcting the who_can_view_group setting for these problematic groups?

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
Systems Administrator & Change Manager
IT Services, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK

Ross Scroggs

Oct 9, 2017, 11:09:37 AM10/9/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

Try this:
Make sure that you are signed in as your Google Admin
Put nameofpro...@york.ac.uk in the groupUniqueId box
Click the + in the Request body box and choose whoCanViewGroup
Paste ALL_MEMBERS_CAN_VIEW between the ""
Click Execute

What happens?

Ross Scroggs

Oct 9, 2017, 11:21:15 AM10/9/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

Do the following for a good group and a bad group, what are the defferences in the output?
gam info groups go...@york.ac.uk,b...@york.ac.uk nousers

Mike Brudenell

Oct 10, 2017, 4:22:49 AM10/10/17
to GAM for G Suite
Hi, Ross -

Many thanks or both suggestions… I was asked to try and force the groups by changing their setting manually within the Admin Console, so did so and that appears to have taken. If/when it happens again I'll try both things you suggest.

I'd tried comparing settings by eye (I'm not feeling too well at the moment and definitely not firing on all cylinders) and could spot differences between any given pair, but not any consistently different. I'll use diff another time!

It was also muddied by additional groups appearing with the problem, and then disappearing when I re-ran my script. This possibly suggests new groups being set up but not yet having all of their settings properly provisioned, or possibly oddities in the initial information retrieval. I'll be more methodical next time I do the checks and update here with the results.

Cheers,
Mike B-)