Unable to delete expired delegates

Ashish Gupta

Dec 3, 2016, 6:50:15 AM12/3/16
to GAM for G Suite
There are some users accounts, where it shows the following delegate details -

gam user use...@domain.com show delegates

Getting delegates for use...@domain.com...
Delegator: user.id
 Delegate: System Administrator
 Delegate Email: admi...@domain.com
 Delegate ID: admi...@domain.com
===============
When i try to remove the expired delegation through gam, i get the following error -

gam user user.id delete delegate admin.id
Deleting admi...@domain.com delegate access to use...@domain.com (1 of 1)
ERROR: 1303 - Entity admi...@flexfilm.com name not valid
What should i do ?

Ashish Gupta.

+KimNilsson

Dec 5, 2016, 2:44:57 AM12/5/16
to GAM for G Suite
Try to temporarily activate those user accounts, remove the delegates and then deactivate them again.

Ashish Gupta

Dec 5, 2016, 3:43:45 AM12/5/16
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Both the user and  admin account are active and working. But for some reason the admin delegation is showing as expired and I am unable to remove the same from the user account, using GAM. If i try to remove the expired delegation by directly logging into the user account, it is possible. But, is there any way to remove the delegation without directly logging into the user account.

Regards,

Ashish Gupta
Manager - IT
Uflex Limited, Films Business
(Formerly Flex Industries Ltd.)
A-1, Sector-60, Noida
Ph. 120-6100520
Mob: +91-9871326851
Displaying

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 1:14 PM, +KimNilsson <there.is.no...@gmail.com> wrote:
Try to temporarily activate those user accounts, remove the delegates and then deactivate them again.

Disclaimer ::
This e-mail message including any attachment may contain confidential ,
proprietary or legally privileged information. It should not be used by
the person who is not the original intended recipient. If you have
erroneously received this message, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering or disclosing the content of
this message. Please delete it immediately and notify the sender. "UFLEX LIMITED (Film Business)" accept no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of
the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus and
further acknowledges that any views expressed in this message are those
of the individual sender and no binding nature of the message shall be
implied or assumed unless the sender does so expressly with due authority
of "UFLEX LIMITED (Film Business)", as applicable.

+KimNilsson

Dec 5, 2016, 6:27:44 AM12/5/16
to GAM for G Suite, ashish...@flexfilm.com
I find it interesting that there is such a thing as an Expired delegation! Didn't even know that it existed. How is that possible? Can a delegation be set to a time period?

Ashish Gupta

Dec 5, 2016, 6:44:53 AM12/5/16
to GAM for G Suite, ashish...@flexfilm.com
No, we cannot setup a time-period for delegation, But sometimes the delegation request is not properly accepted either due to some other error or bug, then it remains in the user's account like an orphan entry. It will not get removed on it's own, and needs to be manually removed from the user's account. I have found no other way of removing this entry. Since the delegation has to be accepted within a stipulated time, after which it expires, the delegation becomes invalid. I have no clue why this happens, but it happens in some cases.

Ashish.

Bri Hatch

Dec 5, 2016, 10:59:06 AM12/5/16
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, ashish...@flexfilm.com
I've got an update from Google. We've been going back and forth for the last 2+ months. The issue has been difficult on their end because nothing is consistent wrt timing between unsuspend and delegation working.

It seems that, at least in my 2 recent tests, the following works:

* unsuspend a long-dormant account
* delegation fails (for some unknown time)
* reset their password and log in as them and open gmail.com in a browser
* delegation works ~10 minutes later

Logging into their gmail account seems to unwedge the delegation hellhole.

Google's got more to go on now, so hopefully this helps them get closer to a proper fix.

[...]

Bri Hatch, Systems and Security Engineer. http://www.ifokr.org/bri/

Kevin Melillo

Dec 5, 2016, 12:21:49 PM12/5/16
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, ashish...@flexfilm.com
Good morning,

I have seen this as well in our domain.  We unsuspend the user, and it fails on delegation.  We have updated our process to rename the user and then process the delegation.

Unsuspend User
Rename User to <current_username>_suffix@domain_name.com
Add delegation

This process seems to work with NO delay.  I am not sure if your process includes renaming a user, but if not, you may be able to rename them, then reverse the process, and rename them back.
Please let me know if this works for you, as it does for us.

Thanks.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-apps-manager.
--
Bri Hatch, Systems and Security Engineer. http://www.ifokr.org/bri/

Kevin Melillo
Electronic Communications Analyst
Information Technology
445 Hoes Lane
Piscataway, NJ 08854

Bri Hatch

Dec 5, 2016, 2:12:51 PM12/5/16
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, Ashish Gupta
Renaming unwedges it - that's interesting. Ridiculous, but I'll take it in the short term....

Remember if you rename that you delete the alias it creates afterwords.

--
Kevin Melillo
Electronic Communications Analyst
Information Technology
445 Hoes Lane
Piscataway, NJ 08854

Ashish Gupta

Dec 5, 2016, 10:45:51 PM12/5/16
to Bri Hatch, google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Ok, will try this out as suggested. Thanks.

Regards,

Ashish Gupta

--
Bri Hatch, Systems and Security Engineer. http://www.ifokr.org/bri/

Ashish Gupta

Dec 6, 2016, 6:05:11 AM12/6/16
to Bri Hatch, google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Renamed the user's mail id, whose mail account is to be delegated to admin. Still the same error is received.
gam user user.id delete delegate admin.id
Deleting admi...@flexfilm.com delegate access to user.id@flexfilm
.com (1 of 1)
ERROR: 1303 - Entity admi...@flexfilm.com name not valid
gam user user.id  delegate to admin.id
Giving admin.id delegate access to user.id (1 of 1)
ERROR: 1300 - Entity admin.id exists