Question related to MultiRegion Datastore Behavior

suman datrika

Jun 13, 2018, 5:31:36 PM6/13/18
to Google App Engine
Hi,

We have our AppEngine applications in multiple projects, each in a separate region (of US). These apps connect to Datastore to read data.
We configured this Datastore as multi-region (by selecting as us-central).

With this setup, can we reliably say that a request coming from an AppEngine app to Datastore will be routed to the Datastore replica within that same region?

I don't see any documentation referring to this explicitly or any APIs that expose which region is serving the Datastore requests. Would be great if someone can shed some light on this behavior.
This will help us in understanding if we can expect consistent latency whatever region the request is coming from.

Example Setup:

APP1 in us-east1
APP2 in us-east4
APP3 in us-central

Datastore as multi-regional

Can we safely assume that
  • Requests from APP1 to Datastore - will be routed and served by Datastore of us-east1 region
  • Requests from APP2 to Datastore - will be routed and served by Datastore of us-east4 region
  • Requests from APP3 to Datastore - will be routed and served by Datastore of us-central region

Thank you!

Katayoon (Cloud Platform Support)

Jun 14, 2018, 4:10:04 PM6/14/18
to Google App Engine

Hi Suman,

A request from an App Engine application, either from the same project or from other projects, will be routed to the best suited backend service by the frontend. When a request comes from the App Engine, it will be redirected to the closest available Cloud Datastore replica, approving your assumption.