Transitioning from Google App Engine SDK to gcloud, what to expect

PK

Sep 24, 2017, 3:18:31 PM9/24/17
to Google App Engine, Google Cloud Insiders
A few months ago I had asked if anybody has attempted this and got no response. I finally made the transition; it was a bit bumpier than what I had hoped but it appears to be a good improvement on deployment times plus one less download to worry about.

I wrote up my experience in a post here for anybody else interested in this.

Best,
PK

Kai Wang

Sep 25, 2017, 9:56:28 AM9/25/17
to Patrick Flynn, Mariann Nagy, Alexey Maloletkin, PK, Google App Engine, Google Cloud Insiders
Thanks for the transition doc. If you find any app engine SDK's feature missing in gcloud, feel free to reach out to us!

+Patrick:
Which App Engine language are you using?
Seems to be Python.

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 6:35 AM, 'Patrick Flynn' via Google Cloud Insiders <google-clo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi Mariann,

Which App Engine language are you using?

Feel free to send me details about your migration issues and I'll see if I can route them to get them addressed.

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 5:16 PM, 'Mariann Nagy' via Google Cloud Insiders <google-cloud-insiders@googlegroups.com> wrote:
This is great! I once tried migrating from the SDK, but then I got upset how difficult the process was and just ended up downloading the SDK again. I'll read your summary on Monday. Thanks for sharing!

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 14:11 Alexey Maloletkin <aam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great writing - thanks for sharing.
Alexey

Marcos Manuel Ortega

Sep 29, 2017, 3:47:29 AM9/29/17
to paf...@google.com, Mariann Nagy, Alexey Maloletkin, PK, Google App Engine, Google Cloud Insiders
While we're on the matter, (for Python runtime) isn't it awkard we're using "dev_appserver.py" script to launch the local dev environment instead of something like "gclud app browse dev"?

Not for me but I see the added difficulty for newcomers when I tell them to use 2 different commands.

Hi Mariann,

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 5:16 PM, 'Mariann Nagy' via Google Cloud Insiders <google-clo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
This is great! I once tried migrating from the SDK, but then I got upset how difficult the process was and just ended up downloading the SDK again. I'll read your summary on Monday. Thanks for sharing!
On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 14:11 Alexey Maloletkin <aam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great writing - thanks for sharing.
Alexey

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 2:17 PM PK <p...@gae123.com> wrote:

Marcos Manuel Ortega
CEO & Founder - Cloud, IoT & data engineer

www.indavelopers.com
in...@indavelopers.com
+34 685849264

PK

Sep 29, 2017, 3:58:02 AM9/29/17
to Marcos Manuel Ortega, paf...@google.com, Mariann Nagy, Alexey Maloletkin, Google App Engine, Google Cloud Insiders
GCS still uses gustil as another exception to gcloud, more notable if you ask me.

But what you say is what I expect to happen eventually…

I hope we see more local simulators as well. For now GAES is pretty much the exception.