Passing "--verbosity true" to gcloud through Maven

Joshua Fox

Jun 22, 2017, 5:08:07 AM6/22/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
mvn appengine:deploy is failing.

We are using com.google.cloud.tools:appengine-maven-plugin

We need more information, and we might get that if we can pass the --verbosity=true   from Maven to gcloud.

The docs don't say how to do that.

How can we pass this parameter from Maven into gcloud?

Error message below. The  Log Viewer shows nothing at all about the deployment.

GCLOUD: Updating service [service1]...
GCLOUD: ...........failed.
GCLOUD: ERROR: (gcloud.app.deploy) Error Response: [13] An internal error occurred.

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Jun 22, 2017, 4:57:23 PM6/22/17
to Google App Engine
Hello Joshua,

In case you adjust your deployment strategy and use gcloud-maven-plugin, in place of the appengine-maven-plugin, the option for --verbose exactly is present there. You can find related details on github

Debug information can be also obtained from maven by running mvn -X appengine:deploy, with the -X option.

Joshua Fox

Jun 23, 2017, 9:03:37 AM6/23/17
On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 11:57 PM, 'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine <google-a...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hello Joshua,

In case you adjust your deployment strategy and use gcloud-maven-plugin,

Do you mean the GCloud Maven Plugin com.google.appengine:gcloud-maven-plugin ? Its page says "This plugin has been deprecated. Please migrate to the currently maintained appengine-maven-plugin."

How do we pass --verbosity to gcloud using the currently supported appengine-maven-plugin

in place of the appengine-maven-plugin, the option for --verbose exactly is present there. You can find related details on github

Debug information can be also obtained from maven by running mvn -X appengine:deploy, with the -X option.
We'd like to get info from  the gcloud layer, not from Maven itself.

JOSHUA FOX
Principal Software Architect | Freightos

 (Israel): +972-545691165 |  (US):  +1-3123400953 | Skypejoshuafox.freightos
Smoother shipping with the world's online freight marketplace.

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Jun 23, 2017, 3:08:12 PM6/23/17
to Google App Engine
You are right, the gcloud-maven-plugin is deprecated. It would however accept exactly the same --verbosity parameter you desire.

Still, the mvn -X appengine:deploy does provide extra debug messages. All deployment options write out lines tagged with [INFO] GCLOUD: during deployment, that come from gcloud. You can find relevant information in deployment logs as well. What type of debugging info are you looking for, specifically?

Les Vogel

Jun 23, 2017, 3:09:33 PM6/23/17
to Google App Engine
Wow - the gcloud-maven-plugin isn't being maintained and shouldn't be used.  The -x to maven gives lots of useful info about maven but very little about the gcloud command line.

Though, if you were to use mvn -X appengine:deploy you'll see the commands that are being executed by the plugin.  You could then do mvn appengine:stage   and then use the gcloud app deploy with all the appropriate settings adding --verbosity and / or other options.

I've filed an issue

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 6:02 AM, Joshua Fox <jos...@freightos.com> wrote:

Les Vogel
  •  Cloud Developer Relations
  •  le...@google.com
  •  +1-408-676-7023

Les Vogel

Jun 23, 2017, 3:10:31 PM6/23/17
to Google App Engine
BTW - Joshua, you don't mention, are you deploying to GAE Standard or to GAE Flex?

The gcloud maven plugin will only deploy to Managed VMs.

Joshua Fox

Jun 25, 2017, 2:45:41 AM6/25/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
We are deploying to both Flex and Standard.

We used to use the GCloud Maven Plugin  for the old Flex (A.K.A. beta/Managed VM/"compat").

We also used the appengine-maven-plugin based on the Google App Engine SDK for Java.

But we are now using the  appengine-maven-plugin based the  on Cloud-SDK which is said to be the one supported going forward.