Switching from Backends to Modules

Joshua Smith

Feb 24, 2017, 10:46:40 AM2/24/17
to Google App Engine
I have a process I need to let run longer than 10 minutes, and I have been using “backends” for this.

I saw the deprecation warning, so I decided to try making it into a module instead. The documentation on this is a complete mess. Hey google: You need to go clean this up. There are a whole lot of different pages that describe bits and pieces of the puzzle, but I can’t find anything that tells me what I actually need to do. It doesn’t help that backends became modules became services. SMDH.

Anyway, I found the article that told me how to generate a .yaml for my module based on my old backends.yaml and my app.yaml. My module is called “reporting” so I have reporting.yaml.

After making that and deleting my backends.yaml, I clicked deploy on the GAE launcher, but that didn’t do anything about my module.

So I guess I need to run appcfg.py manually? But I have no idea what arguments to give it.

I just want to push the latest code up, and then I will hit the module with a URL.

I used to do this with: appcfg.py backends <dir> update

What command should I issue to get the same result with my “reporting” module?

-Joshua

Vitaly Bogomolov

Feb 24, 2017, 4:18:56 PM2/24/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Joshua.

Anyway, I found the article that told me how to generate a .yaml for my module based on my old backends.yaml and my app.yaml. My module is called “reporting” so I have reporting.yaml.
I used to do this with: appcfg.py backends <dir> update

What command should I issue to get the same result with my “reporting” module?

 appcfg.py update <dir>app.yaml <dir>reporting.yaml

WBR, Vitaly

Adam (Cloud Platform Support)

Feb 24, 2017, 4:20:50 PM2/24/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
In your case to deploy the 'reporting' service you would use:

appcfg.py update <dir>/reporting.yaml

You can list any number of .yaml files for services to deploy after 'appcfg.py update'. The usage is given in the documentation under Deploying multiple service applications.

Joshua Smith

Feb 24, 2017, 4:23:36 PM2/24/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I did eventually find that.

Google cloud is getting to be a lot like Microsoft. Everything is documented, but there are so many docs it’s impossible to find what you are looking for.

On Feb 24, 2017, at 4:20 PM, 'Adam (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine <google-a...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

In your case to deploy the 'reporting' service you would use:

appcfg.py update reporting.yaml

Attila-Mihaly Balazs

Mar 1, 2017, 9:02:32 AM3/1/17
to Google App Engine
+1 - this!

There is a lot of documentation, and a lot of it is outdated, with links to missing pages :(

Attila