App Engine Firewall survey

Lorne Kligerman

Sep 20, 2017, 6:17:01 PM9/20/17
to Google App Engine, Suzanne Yang, Tad Hunt
Hey there folks,

We recently announced that the firewall feature has launched to beta and we're quickly working towards GA.  As we move to GA and beyond we'd like to gather feedback to understand how well the firewall is working for you and what we could improve.

We'd really appreciate a few minutes of your time to fill out the following survey:

Thanks!
Lorne.
Product Manager - App Engine

Nickolas Daskalou

Sep 20, 2017, 7:30:22 PM9/20/17
to Google App Engine, Suzanne Yang, Tad Hunt
Hey Lorne,

This looks good.

Is it effectively a UI for the existing dos.yaml (Python) solution, or does it provide more functionality than that?

Thanks,

Nick

Kenworth (Google Cloud Platform)

Sep 20, 2017, 9:04:18 PM9/20/17
to Google App Engine
The dos.yaml is intended to protect your app from Denial of Service (DOS) attacks or similar forms of abuse. It is mostly used for blocking / blacklisting IP addresses and networks. The App Engine firewall, however, allows you to both block and allow plus more features like better security and being able to set rules based on specific geographies, among others.

Do not use this service (DoS Protection) for security because some requests from blacklisted users can still get through to your application. This service is designed for quantitative abuse prevention, such as preventing DoS attacks, only.

You should instead use the App Engine firewall for reliable protection as well as the improved features.