App Engine + UrlFetch -> GCE Elasticsearch cluster = latency

Hussein Vastani

Mar 2, 2015, 9:18:51 PM3/2/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I just need to wail about this:

My App Engine/Java app hits my Elasticsearch cluster hosted on GCE, using URLFetch. The Elasticsearch queries themselves execute under 10ms. The response coming back to App Engine typically takes 120ms. The Elasticsearch cluster is fronted by reverse proxy servers that handle authentication and have a public IP. I'm guessing the latency is because URLFetch has to go through the public IP and the reverse proxy server and cannot directly hit the Elasticsearch cluster's via its static IP address.

Google Cloud Platform does not offer the equivalent of AWS Security Groups, and it should. The inability of App Engine to directly talk with services hosted on GCE, without exposing internal services via a public IP, is a big problem.

Are there any best practices for scenarios such as this?

They seem to have gotten it right with App Engine talking to Cloud SQL.

:(