Cronjobs and tasks not firing all of a sudden

Richard Cheesmar

Apr 21, 2017, 4:25:30 AM4/21/17
to Google App Engine
For the last couple of days cronjobs that are scheduled for midnight have not been running or at least not showing up in the logs. The same goes for tasks which have been very sporadic.

Any ideas what is going on?

Jun (Cloud Platform Support)

Apr 21, 2017, 12:37:25 PM4/21/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

I just did a quick test on this but I was not able to reproduce the behavior you're experiencing. That said, I suggest that you'll need to report this at the Issue Tracker per instructions at [1] with more details such as your project info and cron job name etc, so that we can be in a better position to further assist you with this.

- Jun

Evan Jones

Apr 21, 2017, 5:32:56 PM4/21/17
to Google App Engine
One issue I've noticed in the past: If for some reason the *previous* cron job is considered "still running", it appears the cron service will not trigger a new request. We've occasionally seen issues where a request on a backend service gets "stuck" and runs for an extremely long time (usually due to some sort of bug). This can prevent the next cron from running. One disgusting hack that we've used to recover from this scenario is to forcibly stop the version that is running and start it again, to force any "stuck" requests to be terminated.

We've also seen similar failures for task queues with low "concurrency" limits. For example, if the limit is 10 concurrent requests, and they are all "stuck", no more tasks will execute.

I'm not sure this is what you are seeing, but I'm mentioning it in case it is helpful to track down your issue. Good luck!

Evan

Richard Cheesmar

Apr 22, 2017, 1:21:30 AM4/22/17
to Google App Engine
For some reason, this has rectified itself, last night cronjobs ran as expected and tasks seem to be running. Will monitor the situation and if it happens again I'll get  it on to the issue tracker.

Jun (Cloud Platform Support)

Apr 24, 2017, 4:53:13 PM4/24/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Richard,

Nice to hear it starts working as normal (indicating possibly a transient issue at that time).

That said, please feel free to report to the Issue Tracker next time you would encounter such issue again, thanks!

- Jun