Lost gcsfuse functionality since March 16 -- not sure what changed

gu...@genotek.ru

Mar 18, 2018, 11:22:05 AM3/18/18
to Google App Engine
I was able to start gcsfuse on GAE flex/custom since several months, however something changed in GAE that does not allow me to do that any longer.

gcsfuse -o rw -o allow_other --dir-mode 777 --file-mode 777 GOOGLE_STORAGE_BUCKET DIR

produces

Using mount point: DIROpening GCS connection...Opening bucket...Mounting file system...daemonize.Run: readFromProcess: sub-process: mountWithArgs: mountWithConn: Mount: mount: running fusermount: exit status 1stderr:fusermount: fuse device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first

Interesting enough, my other (test) service on the same GAE project with the same app still runs gcsfuse fine, however, the docker image has not been deployed to it since several days. Therefore I suspect that google changed silently under us. My question what it is, how can we go back.

Is it possible that our broken gcsfuse GAE app instance is running within a different, more restrictive GAE version?

Thanks.

Jordan (Cloud Platform Support)

Mar 18, 2018, 2:40:15 PM3/18/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
You can view the appropriate Github page for the base App Engine Flexible Docker image that you are building on to find out what changes have been made to your specific image since you last deployed.

I see that gcsfuse is able to handle authentication on App Engine, so this might be an issue with gcsfuse not being up-to-date with the new App Engine Flex images. Since gcsfuse is open source it is recommended to report this issue to the engineering team on their Issue Tracker

- Note that Google Groups is reserved for general product discussions and is not intended for technical support.

gu...@genotek.ru

Mar 19, 2018, 3:17:20 AM3/19/18
to Google App Engine
Jordan,

I am building my own _custom_ docker image for my app, therefore what I was implying is that something changed in the "mothership" docker engine that runs my custom image. Where would I look for changes in that?

Thanks.

Jordan (Cloud Platform Support)

Mar 19, 2018, 12:48:33 PM3/19/18
to Google App Engine
If your custom image does not pull from an App Engine base image than it is recommended to try running your docker image outside of App Engine in a local Docker test environment. If gcsfuse still does not work locally, than the issue is with gcsfuse and it should be reported to their engineering Issue Tracker

If it does work locally and it only has this issue in App Engine, than it is recommended to gather more debugging logs via the --debug_fuse and/or --debug_gcs gcsfuse options and report the issue to the App Engine team in the Public Issue Tracker

- Note that the App Engine Flexible environment runs on Compute Engine and uses its network. Therefore any updates to Compute Engine would directly affect App Engine Flexible instances (which are Compute Engine instances running Docker with your docker image).