AppEngine Custom Domain Cannot Be Reached By Some Operators

Tolga Tanrıverdi

Apr 24, 2017, 2:43:58 PM4/24/17
to Google App Engine
Hi
I've created a custom domain and ssh key for my appengine app, it works fine with lots of operators in our country(Turkey). But only with vodafone LTE the custom domain doesnt work, so the people who are using vodafone network can only use *.appspot.com domain to use our application.

For testing it I've found a Vodafone GSM and pinged our domain and saw that it always gives "request time out" error. It doesnt happen in other GSM operators.
So I dont know how to fix it?

One of the ip address which cannot connect to custom domain is in below:

176.4.69

Jun (Cloud Platform Support)

Apr 24, 2017, 4:31:32 PM4/24/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Tolga,

If I understand correctly, you've registered your custom domain, and setup the appropriate SSL Cert for the domain (instead of SSH key?) on your App Engine app (however, it shows there is no SSL cert when going to your custom domain). Do you see incoming request from the IPs of Vodafone at logging section of your app? Also I'll need you to clarify that if it always gives "request time out" using *.appspot.com to your app while we can confirm that your custom domain is always resulting "request time out".

Please notice that "request time out" normally indicates that no echo reply messages were received within the default time, and can be due to many different causes, which can include network congestion, failure of the ARP request, packet filtering, routing error or a silent discard.

- Jun

Tolga Tanrıverdi

Apr 24, 2017, 5:12:12 PM4/24/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Jun
You are right I meant to say SSL instead of SSH
The actual problem is browser doesnt say its an SSL problem , it only waits for 1-2 minutes then doesnt show anything when I try to access our website from Vodafone. But If I try to access to same site with *.appspot.com  URL everything works fine.

And when I ping our custom domain using Vodafone with "ping portal.livyapp.com" it gives request time out error. But if I ping *.appspot.com it works fine.
Other than Vodafone network, both custom domain and appspot.com domains works fine

I couldnt find a solution to that?

Jun (Cloud Platform Support)

Apr 25, 2017, 3:16:57 PM4/25/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Tolga,

Thanks for the clarification, and I suggest that the Vodafone support should be the best channel that you ask assistance for this issue given the following fact:
- There is no issue accessing your app using your custom domain or *appspot.com through the network of other operators except Vodafone;
- There is no issue using *appspot.com through Vodafone;
- The only issue you're having is using your custom domain through Vodafone;

With current information we have, we can confirm that there should be no issue regarding your configs inside your project at Cloud Platform, which indicates that reaching out to Vodafone should be the only and best way to resolve the issue.

- Jun