Appengine ecosystem?

Emlyn

Jun 26, 2014, 11:13:29 PM6/26/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
What are the good communities for appengine / google cloud?

Where are the good online resources for appengine / google cloud?

What are the good third party tools for appengine / google cloud?

I've been cranking away on commercial appengine work, really busy, so
I've not been paying much attention to the outside world. Reflecting
for a minute, I think I'm probably doing a lot of things the hard way
(and probably crappy way). However, I've never really identified much
in the way of good communities, resources, tools for appengine.

I currently subscribe to the google group
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine

And of course I use the docs & StackOverflow extensively.

What cool things are you using that you think everyone else should
also be using?

btw, I'm asking this question elsewhere, and will try to compile and
repost a useful list of feedback.

--
Emlyn

http://point7.wordpress.com - My blog
https://plus.google.com/u/0/100281903174934656260 - Google+

timh

Jun 27, 2014, 4:15:05 AM6/27/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately it seems all the good appengine discussions went away with the SO introduction
however SO is no good for discussions about approach, idea's etc...  it also seems like a lot of input etc
disappeared when people like Nick Johnson and Ikai went elsewhere.

Just my 2c worth.

Philip Kilner

Jun 27, 2014, 6:13:42 AM6/27/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 27/06/14 09:15, timh wrote:
> Unfortunately it seems all the good appengine discussions went away with
> the SO introduction
> however SO is no good for discussions about approach, idea's etc... it
> also seems like a lot of input etc
> disappeared when people like Nick Johnson and Ikai went elsewhere.
>
> Just my 2c worth.

+1

I find that listening to the chit-chat of form discussions is a great
way to discover how other people use tools and helps me learn, and the
lack of such a forum since the advent of SO as the official channel has
made App Engine that much less attractive as a result.

Ultimately, Google's changes in this area have convinced me that I am
not the intended audience for App Engine. As a solo developer, my needs
have been much better served since I switched to platforms where the
vendors see the value in this sort of community.

--

Regards,

PhilK

'a bell is a cup...until it is struck'

Diego Duclos

Jun 27, 2014, 6:42:12 AM6/27/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I find visiting the #appengine IRC channel answers this need for me. Though it's quiet at times, more people joining it would help tremendously there.
We also have this very mailing list of course.

Chad Vincent

Jun 27, 2014, 3:40:14 PM6/27/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
IRC Channel?  What network?

Emlyn

Jun 28, 2014, 11:33:01 PM6/28/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I've been lurking on this mailing list for quite a while, and
suspected the move to SO was a bad idea; answers are excellent, but
you can't have a community on SO. You need forums.

The best thing I've found elsewhere is the official cloud platform
community on G+:

https://plus.google.com/communities/105461889719084929003

Pretty low volume, but looks ok.

Richard Watson

Jul 4, 2014, 2:15:40 AM7/4/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I suppose if we get really uppity we could create an unofficial forum that isn't as restricted.  SO is awesome but the "this isn't a Perfect Question and must be closed" approach annoys me.

Jeff Schnitzer

Jul 6, 2014, 10:57:26 PM7/6/14
to Google App Engine
On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM, Richard Watson <richard...@gmail.com> wrote:
I suppose if we get really uppity we could create an unofficial forum that isn't as restricted.

What's wrong with this one, the one we are posting to right now?

Jeff

Jason Collins

Jul 7, 2014, 3:14:57 PM7/7/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
This remains my favourite go-to spot for interesting discussions about appropriate ways to leverage the overall Cloud Platform and interesting architecture discussions.

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur....

Barry Hunter

Jul 7, 2014, 3:31:13 PM7/7/14
to google-appengine
There is the slight problem of moderation. Only Googlers can approve new posters, and because they not active here, it can take days for new posts to show up. (and they arrive all at once :)

Jeff

Vinny P

Jul 7, 2014, 7:49:46 PM7/7/14
On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Barry Hunter <barryb...@gmail.com> wrote:
it can take days for new posts to show up. (and they arrive all at once :)

It always amuses me when I see my mailbox suddenly jump up 50+ emails because of this. If I graphed my inbound emails vs. time, it would probably look like a heartbeat monitor screen,

-----------------
-Vinny P
Technology & Media Advisor
Chicago, IL

App Engine Code Samples: http://www.learntogoogleit.com

Kaan Soral

Jul 8, 2014, 4:17:59 PM7/8/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I wasn't even aware that the posts were moderated :)

Jeff Schnitzer

Jul 8, 2014, 9:51:13 PM7/8/14
to Google App Engine
They have the "moderate first post from new user" feature turned on. A long time ago it seemed to be the only way to stop spammers on Google Groups. I don't know if that is still the case; I haven't tried turning it off in years. Anyone know?

Jeff