Memcache with nodejs ?

Pyang djo

Jan 10, 2017, 11:46:21 AM1/10/17
to Google App Engine
Hi,

Are there plans to make memcache available for nodejs on google app engine itself (like for others Go,java,python,php) ??

Currently they are suggesting to use external service - Redis Labs.

Can anybody please comment on this

Thank you,

Adam (Cloud Platform Support)

Jan 10, 2017, 12:57:44 PM1/10/17
to Google App Engine
Currently Memcache as a service is only available on the standard environment, but elsewhere in the docs, you can find mention of the early access form for Memcache on the flexible environment:

The Memcache service is currently not available for the App Engine flexible environment. An alpha version of the memcache service will be available shortly. If you would like to be notified when the service is available, fill out this early access form.

So yes, it is on the horizon. Note that the early access is for testing only and is not recommended for production applications.

Pyang djo

Jan 11, 2017, 4:04:02 AM1/11/17
to Google App Engine
Adam,

Thanks for the info and the form for memcache access.

I have a newbie question - I can use same memcache lib/package with redis and memcache ? am I right. I intend to make use of GAE memcache when its enabled but I would like to go ahead and use redis now ?

Thank you,

regards,

Nick (Cloud Platform Support)

Jan 12, 2017, 4:57:57 PM1/12/17
to Google App Engine
Hey Pyang,

The Memcache service on App Engine will be accessed through a totally different lib/package than any access you may wish to make to a Redis cluster. You might consider writing a simple service / class that will abstract calls to a get/set key-value service such that you can change its internal implementation by connecting to either Memcache or Redis, while the rest of your code can remain the same regardless.

Cheers,

Nick
Cloud Platform Community Support