New Custom Domain hookup feature - what if our customer owns/verifies the domain?

Jason Collins

Apr 15, 2014, 5:43:11 PM4/15/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
We sell an App Engine based product that we allow customers to point their own domain to (i.e., our product is served on their domain).

With the new Custom Domain mapper tool in Cloud Console, I'm trying to get my head around how this will work.

To kick off the process, we need to first start in our own Cloud Console and enter the domain. This kicks over to Webmaster Tools for domain verification. However, we don't want to grab control of the customer's domain (and/or they may already have Webmaster Tools setup for their domain).

So, is there anyway to allow the customer to verify the domain such that we can use the new Cloud Console tool to associate a host of that domain to our App Engine product?

Thanks,

Barry Hunter

Apr 16, 2014, 5:31:13 AM4/16/14
to google-appengine
However, we don't want to grab control of the customer's domain (and/or they may already have Webmaster Tools setup for their domain).

You don't really 'grab control' of the domain, just verifying a trust relationship.

Multiple Google Accounts an be verified on a single domain, and have WMT access, so you wont be kicking them out of anything. And it wont AFAIK create a new WMT access anyway, although could create it once verified on the domain.

There arent all that many settings within WMT, and you have far more control and power over their domain, because you would control the content of the actual pages. So surely if they trust you to serve pages, they could trust you with access to WMT.

Alejandro Gonzalez

Apr 16, 2014, 6:49:54 AM4/16/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Where is this new feature located and documented? I cant find any reference to this...

Barry Hunter

Apr 16, 2014, 7:06:59 AM4/16/14
to google-appengine
On 16 April 2014 11:49, Alejandro Gonzalez <alejandro...@nextinit.com> wrote:
Where is this new feature located and documented? I cant find any reference to this...

Not sure there has been a formal high-profile annoncement, but noted here:

and in the issue tracker feature requests.