Google App Engine Android Facebook login

Shruthi Kumbham

Jul 1, 2015, 7:36:04 AM7/1/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

    I am working on Mobile application which has a Google App Engine backend, now i am able to login with G+ and access the APIs created in backend with oAuth.

  How can I access my backend APIs by logging in with any other social media platforms like facebook and twitter. How can i sync the oAuth of facebook and my Google App Engine APIs.

Help me in finding a solution for this.

Thank You

Les Vogel

Jul 1, 2015, 4:38:24 PM7/1/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shruthi,

You might wish to take a look at the Google Identity Toolkit Libraries(Java, & Go ) & Samples (Android, iOS, & Java).  It will let you do Facebook & G+ and your own authentication and connect with Android, iOS, and your backend on AppEngine.  The docs should help explain the product (and there are some samples on GitHub) -- we hope to publish a full end-to-end sample sometime within the next two weeks.

Les

Les Vogel | Cloud Developer Relations | le...@google.com | 408-676-7023

Shruthi Kumbham

Jul 3, 2015, 3:38:38 AM7/3/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for reply.

 I could able to use the identity toolkit API and able to login via G+ and facebook.  But I am not able to access my endpoints by logging into G+ or Facebook.

Please let me know the procedure to do it. I can't find any documentation also.It will be a great help.

Regards,
Shruthi Kumbham

Les Vogel

Jul 6, 2015, 12:36:44 PM7/6/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hope to have an example published by Tuesday of next week.

Les

Shruthi Kumbham

Jul 9, 2015, 4:38:10 AM7/9/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

 Thank You. Please let me know how is Firebase and Identity Toolkit differs ? I am not able to decide which one to go with.

Can I have my backend code and database running on App Engine and just use Firebase for authentication and sessions ? If Yes, how can i connect my Firebase with my App Engine ?

Which is best to go with, Firebase or Identity Toolkit ?

Kindly clarify. I find very less documentation on these.

Regards,
Shruthi Kumbham

Les Vogel

Jul 9, 2015, 2:50:34 PM7/9/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Firebase Auth is easy to get started with and use.  Your connecting 3rd party auth to it.  (The folks from Firebase might describe this differently)
Identity Toolkit is fairly robust and will scale to millions of users.

If you expect a small number of users, at least to start with - use Firebase.
If you already have a lot of users or expect lots of users -- use Identity Toolkit.

The sample I mentioned should be published tomorrow afternoon.   https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/Abelana

Shruthi Kumbham

Jul 11, 2015, 12:17:01 PM7/11/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

   Thank you for the reply. I will be waiting for that sample code.

How do I validate the id token in my app engine back end which i am getting from the toolkit? Can you please provide some kind of documents or sample code.

Regards,
Shruthi Kumbham

Les Vogel

Jul 11, 2015, 2:16:11 PM7/11/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I should have it published before 2pm today.

R A

Oct 23, 2015, 9:48:32 PM10/23/15
to Google App Engine
Les, I have a quick question for you.  Above you state:

"If you expect a small number of users, at least to start with - use Firebase.
If you already have a lot of users or expect lots of users -- use Identity Toolkit."

I am not looking for an exact number, but would you consider 50k users 'small' and better for a firebase app then Identity toolkit?

Thanks

Ruben