Missing AppEngineLauncher .dmg for latest Python SDK?

Sriram Karra

Aug 15, 2016, 12:25:50 PM8/15/16
to Google App Engine
Is there any specific reason the latest Python SDK for Appengine does not make available the Launcher as a dmg? (https://cloud.google.com/appengine/downloads)

Adam (Cloud Platform Support)

Aug 15, 2016, 4:19:25 PM8/15/16
to Google App Engine
I can't speak to the reasoning behind the download options, however the package installed with 'GoogleAppEngineLauncher-1.9.40.dmg' is capable of running Python apps as well, as it depends on and includes the latest Python SDK. Only the presentation of the download links has changed. This is still the case for Windows where the the downloads for the Python and PHP SDKs still link to the same file.

I've submitted an issue to the documentation team on this in hopes of getting some clarification.

Sriram Karra

Aug 16, 2016, 12:57:45 AM8/16/16
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Adam.

John Delaney

Aug 16, 2016, 6:44:37 PM8/16/16
to Google App Engine
I'd like to 2nd the question and add some additional clarification. The GoogleAppEngineLauncher.app is missing as result. That was normally installed with the .DMG. I had V 1.9.37 of the launcher and it could not update itself.

Further, all the current documentation directs us to the command line to run

This is all fine. I'd just like to know if any knows if Google has in fact dropped support for the GoogleAppEngineLauncher GUI application.

Thanks,
-jd

John Delaney

Aug 17, 2016, 4:44:58 PM8/17/16
to Google App Engine
I got a reply on this SO post indicating it would be better to move over to the Cloud SDK. There is also an Eclipse Plugin for it if that's helpful. Okay then, no time like the present!

Sriram Karra

Aug 18, 2016, 1:23:00 PM8/18/16
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I was able to workaround this by first installing from an old copy of GoogleAppEngineLauncher-1.5.2.dmg I had lying around, and then allowing it to look for updates. I am now at 1.9.23.290, which is good enough to get me going. I am hoping the Launcher version is in sync with the SDK version...