How can you use app engine for a SaaS application when it doesn't support custom domains?

Gitted

Jun 24, 2016, 11:30:07 AM6/24/16
to Google App Engine
Hello,

How are you suppose to use app engine when it doesn't support custom domains?

For example, say I build a CMS SaaS product where my customers (thousands and thousands of them) will want to use their own custom domain which will point to my backend service.

In order for this to work, App Engine has to have an Domain API so I can tell app engine to allow this domain to connect to my service.

Example:
   www.customer1.com will create an A-record to point to my service which is hosted on app-engine.

There will be tens of thousands of these domains since this is a SaaS application.

This is currently not possible correct?

Nickolas Daskalou

Jun 24, 2016, 11:52:43 AM6/24/16
to Google App Engine

Currently that is not possible.

You will need to find novel ways around it.

For SocialPage.me we push static files to S3 and then use a custom API which talks to our App Engine app when we need dynamic functionality (e.g. for contact form submission: http://cafeico.com/contact ).

There is probably a feature request for such a domain API in the issue tracker which you can star to express your interest.

Nick

Jeff Schnitzer

Jun 28, 2016, 2:56:32 AM6/28/16
to Google App Engine
I run a whitelabeled ecommerce app on GAE with hundreds of domains. It is possible. It is a significant PITA.

We get away with it because we have a high-touch onboarding process. There’s no easy way for this to become self-service. Your best bet would be to build a proxy, but make sure you don’t run afoul of Google’s automated fraud defenses; if your proxy gets blocked due to one bad actor, it will take down the experience for everyone.

One thing you should be aware of: always verify all domains from a single google *user* account. For some strange reason, verification is tied to a user account and not the project. The custom domains screen will be very confusing if you use multiple accounts.

Jeff