app engine hosted website - the domain is no longer parked by GoDaddy

Ahmed Layouni

Feb 23, 2016, 1:45:46 PM2/23/16
to Google App Engine
First off I apologize if my post is out of topic.

I have a one page website hosted by Google App Engine. It works fine most of the time but every once in a while (maybe once a week or so), instead of getting my main page when I try to access the website, I get a nasty green page with the message "this domain is no longer parked by GoDaddy"... After a few refreshes everything gets back to normal.

I purchased my domain name from GoDaddy obviously, and I followed all the steps here to link my app engine web app to my custom domain.

Any ideas what could cause the message "this domain is no longer parked by GoDaddy"?

Zeehad (Cloud Platform Support)

Feb 24, 2016, 11:56:58 AM2/24/16
to Google App Engine
Hello Ahmed,

There is a very strong chance that some of your DNS records are still pointing to GoDaddy's custom parked domain page that you may have had setup prior to completing the App Engine custom domain setup. Please log in to your domain's management console and make sure the DNS zone file doesn't contain any A or AAAA records apart from:

Type Host Data
A @ 216.239.32.21
A @ 216.239.34.21
A @ 216.239.36.21
A @ 216.239.38.21
AAAA @ 2001:4860:4802:32::15
AAAA @ 2001:4860:4802:34::15
AAAA @ 2001:4860:4802:36::15
AAAA @ 2001:4860:4802:38::15

Also, if you're redirecting any sub-domain (e.g. www) to your app, make sure to only have 1 CNAME record for each that points to ghs.googlehosted.com. Don't forget to allow up to 24 hours for the changes (if you make any) to take affect.

I hope it helps. Cheers!

Ahmed Layouni

Feb 24, 2016, 12:14:41 PM2/24/16
to Google App Engine
You're right Zeehad! I had one extra A record in my GoDaddy console, and 2 extra subdomains (ftp and mail) pre-configured by GoDaddy that were pointing to a different CNAME. I removed them all, hopefully the problem won't occur again.

Thanks a lot!
-Ahmed

Mark Pickles

Feb 29, 2016, 1:50:35 AM2/29/16
to Google App Engine
Just wanted to say thanks for this. Different context but this helped me immensely.

Why does GoDaddy add these extra records? is there some purpose, or is it just obstructing users who want to host elsewhere?  I'd be interested to know if anyone has any answers/opinions.
Message has been deleted

Sumanta Bhowmik

Aug 19, 2017, 12:32:46 AM8/19/17
to Google App Engine
Hi

I am also facing the same issue even though I have removed all unwanted A/AAAA records. There is record
CNAME_domainconnect_domainconnect.gd.domaincontrol.com
Should I remove it?
Regards
Sumanta