NodeJS Flexible Environment automatically shuts down itself after deployment

Soravis Prakkamakul

Sep 30, 2016, 12:20:40 PM9/30/16
to Google App Engine
We are currently hosting our services on NodeJS Flexible Environment for AppEngine by deploying it into multiple services inside one single project.

Recently, we've ran into a problem deploying app engine services. Our instances will shutdown 1-2 minutes after deployment with the command 'gcloud app deploy service.yaml'. Here are the simple steps to reproduce the problem

1. Start off with hello world NodeJS Example which can be found in

2. Replace package.json with the package.json file used in our project

replace app.yaml with this file
It's simply setting the service name and determine automatic scaling settings

3. Deploy with the command
 gcloud -q app deploy app.yaml --promote --version=1

4. Monitor all the logs regarding this service in Google Cloud Logging console.

App will startup successfully, according to the log entry
 vm_runtime_init: ah_start: INFO: got healthy response from app, sending /_ah/start query.

After a while, there will be a message saying that the app is shutting down for system halt
gae-hello-1-2vyk shutdown[7196]: shutting down for system halt

The full log can be found here

We're suspecting that our dependencies in package.json made the deployment take longer than expect and soemehow triggered gcloud to terminate it as this is not the case with the default package.json file came with the hello world project.