recommended path for moving php Application to GC App engine

Richard Bernstein

May 18, 2018, 9:00:48 AM5/18/18
to Google App Engine
I have a php app that was developed under Windows using jetbrain's phpStorm. Seems to run well. I want to move it over to GC App Engine. What is the recommended path? Should I install and set it up on my windows PC in a box using Cloud Tools for Eclipse and once that is working bring it up to GC?

George (Cloud Platform Support)

May 18, 2018, 1:08:25 PM5/18/18
to Google App Engine
You may find a few tutorials on the web, specifically covering PhpStorm in the app engine development environment, such as this one. If you prefer using Eclipse, it may prove worthwhile reading the "Deploying App Engine Standard Applications from Eclipse" documentation page. The Cloud SDK offers you a dev_appserver to run your app locally prior to deploying. In case using Eclipse is not a must, you can simply follow the tutorials and quick starts linked to from the "PHP on Google App Engine" page

Richard Bernstein

May 18, 2018, 1:26:20 PM5/18/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Thanks George. Using PhpStorm would be so much easier for me.

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 1:08 PM, 'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine <google-a...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
You may find a few tutorials on the web, specifically covering PhpStorm in the app engine development environment, such as this one. If you prefer using Eclipse, it may prove worthwhile reading the "Deploying App Engine Standard Applications from Eclipse" documentation page. The Cloud SDK offers you a dev_appserver to run your app locally prior to deploying. In case using Eclipse is not a must, you can simply follow the tutorials and quick starts linked to from the "PHP on Google App Engine" page

George (Cloud Platform Support)

May 21, 2018, 12:51:49 PM5/21/18
to Google App Engine
Hi Richard,

Did the provided example help in any way? Are you looking for more insight?

Richard Bernstein

May 21, 2018, 2:23:10 PM5/21/18
to google-appengine@googlegroups com

Well, I think I almost got the app.yaml right. I am trying to shoehorn an existing app onto gc. Now when I try starting it I get "direct access not allowed.", which sounds like it is directly trying to start a index.php file in codeigniter.  I am actually on vacation this week in Norway, so I will wait until I get back to my to work on it.

My next step after getting the app to start will be configuring the mysql.

On May 21, 2018, at 12:52, "'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine" <google-a...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi Richard,

Did the provided example help in any way? Are you looking for more insight?

Richard Bernstein

May 21, 2018, 2:30:23 PM5/21/18
to google-appengine@googlegroups com

One more thing, I found a primer on using phpstorm with gc. There was also a video on using the phpstorm gc plug-in. I later found a doc that said that support in phpstorm for gc plug-in was discontinued. Very disappointing.

George (Cloud Platform Support)

May 21, 2018, 2:38:59 PM5/21/18
to Google App Engine
It may be worthwhile mentioning that you cannot perform local disc access in app engine, so you need to shoehorn the app accordingly.

Have a nice holiday in Norway! Enjoy!