following directions for using "Getting Started with PhpStorm as Google App Engine PHP IDE"

Richard Bernstein

May 18, 2018, 5:56:33 PM5/18/18
to Google App Engine
I am following the directions. It says I need:

  • Google App Engine SDK for PHP   <<done
  • Python version 2.7                          <<current version is 3.6.5
  • php-cgi 5.4 with the relevant modules  <<I am currently running php 5.6
  • MySQL (for applications that work with databases)
So do I need to load these exact versions? They are somewhat old, right? I can set my php back (who knows what it will break?) and maybe find an old copy of python 2.7. Do I need to install older versions or are the instructs old?

oon arfiandwi

May 19, 2018, 12:09:36 PM5/19/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Hi Richard,

python has 2 different branch, python 3 and python 2, and both still updated (at least until 2020).
not all python 2 code can be interpreted correctly by python 3,
because not all code are created as polyglot.

As I know, Google App Engine for Python still using python 2.7 until now,
and that's why I recommend you to use (download and install) Python 2.7,
of course you can download it via python.org website.

I don't updated with Google App Engine for PHP, but if you got problem with different version of the package,
I think at least you should try the correct version, is it working?

--
sincerely,
oon arfiandwi

Richard Bernstein

May 19, 2018, 12:22:26 PM5/19/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Oon. I did in fact load up python 2.7. I also stepped back my php version to 5.4. I developed my app using phpStorm and I see that they have a plugin and document called

Getting Started with PhpStorm as Google App Engine PHP IDE. So I am going to try to go that way since they at least have some instructions and a "hello world" program. If I can get that going I'd feel better. I found that when I started dev_appserver, directly,  I get an error about a "<module> setup not found". I am pretty sure that my code doesn't have a file or function by that name. So I don't know where it comes from? That is why I am going back to the phpStorm plug in for App Engine. I thought it would go more smoothly, but I am getting an error with the directories when I follow their (jetBrains) instructions too.

On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 5:56 AM Richard Bernstein <rich...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am following the directions. It says I need:

  • Google App Engine SDK for PHP   <<done
  • Python version 2.7                          <<current version is 3.6.5
  • php-cgi 5.4 with the relevant modules  <<I am currently running php 5.6
  • MySQL (for applications that work with databases)
So do I need to load these exact versions? They are somewhat old, right? I can set my php back (who knows what it will break?) and maybe find an old copy of python 2.7. Do I need to install older versions or are the instructs old?

Kenworth (Google Cloud Platform)

May 19, 2018, 1:55:50 PM5/19/18
to Google App Engine
Hi Richard,

I like your idea to start from a simple 'Hello World' app. Since we do not have full visibility on the IDE, can you please try the official Quickstarts (Hello World app) of PHP on Google App Engine?

Richard Bernstein

May 19, 2018, 2:40:40 PM5/19/18
to Google App Engine

Here is a link to directions for setting up and running the "Hello World" app from phpStorm for anyone starting out with GC (like me).  I get to the point below in it where I need to enter a valid SDK directory but it has a problem with mine. The error states that a valid directory should contain dev_appserver.py and the google and php packages). I can easily see that dev_appserver.py is there (see the image below) , but what do you suppose they mean by 'google' and 'php' packages? Any why would they be in the same directory as dev_appserver? The dev_appserver.py file is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Cloud SDK\google-cloud-sdk\bin, which makes sense to me.

Kenworth (Google Cloud Platform)

May 20, 2018, 12:33:35 PM5/20/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
1- The tutorial you were following is from 2013. It is safe to assume that a 4-year old tutorial may not be the best idea.

2- I recommend starting the basics from the Official PHP on GAE documentations/tutorials using your preferred IDE.

3- This thread is off-topic for Google Groups which is reserved for general discussions of Google Cloud Platform's products and services. For further technical questions, consider posting on StackOverflow which we also monitor. With StackOverflow, you will be joined by a larger pool of technical enthusiasts including PhpStorm users (attach PhpStorm tags).

Richard Bernstein

May 20, 2018, 12:45:57 PM5/20/18
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kenworth. I could be wrong but i think I actually got the environment up and going; It is hard to tell if you don't know what you are looking for! I created an app.yaml that I start up with the debug flag turned on. When I type localhost from the browser I get a Google App Engine page, and when I click on the Instances page, and then default, i get a message "no direct script access allowed", which is a common complaint from codeigniter, which I used heavily when writing the app. So I feel positive. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I am off to Norway for an 8 day vacation tonight, so I won't be able to continue for a week or two. Thanks for your help.

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 12:33 PM, 'Kenworth (Google Cloud Platform)' via Google App Engine <google-a...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
1- The tutorial you were following is from 2013. It is safe to assume that a 4-year old tutorial may not be the best idea.

2- I recommend starting the basics from the Official PHP on GAE documentations/tutorials using your preferred IDE.

3- This thread is off-topic for Google Groups which is reserved for general discussions of Google Cloud Platform's products and services. For further technical questions, consider posting on StackOverflow which we also monitor. With StackOverflow, you will be joined by a larger based of technical enthusiasts including PhpStorm users (attach PhpStorm tags).