Re: [google-appengine] Any good articles on realtime app engine web apps?

Vinny P

Apr 7, 2015, 4:56:29 PM4/7/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Daniel Robinson <daniel.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any articles on writing real time web apps in app engine? I'm thinking along the lines of a simple multiplayer game or chat app. I wanted to be able to store objects in the datastore and memcache and when they are updated let some pending http request detect the change and return the response to the client, pereferably without the pending request having to keep polling memcache and the datastore, though I'm not sure if such a thing is possible.

It sounds like you might want to try Firebase, which was acquired by Google recently. There's a bunch of case studies available on how to build games or chat services on Firebase; the Firebase tutorial shows how to set up a simple chat server.

-----------------
-Vinny P
Technology & Media Consultant
Chicago, IL

App Engine Code Samples: http://www.learntogoogleit.com

Nick

Apr 8, 2015, 4:29:45 PM4/8/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like you're looking for the Channels API

Rafael

Apr 8, 2015, 4:45:53 PM4/8/15
to google-appengine
We do that in this way:

1) appengine offers datastore and our api's.
2) we have a memory service that is hosted on compute engine.
3) when an event happens on our appengine api's, we ping the memory service in compute engine.
4) in compute engine, if that event requires a real time update, we stream back to the clients.

Compute engine allows you to implement any kind of common real-time architecture:
- apache-mina
- node.js websockets.
etc.

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Daniel Robinson <daniel.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any articles on writing real time web apps in app engine? I'm thinking along the lines of a simple multiplayer game or chat app. I wanted to be able to store objects in the datastore and memcache and when they are updated let some pending http request detect the change and return the response to the client, pereferably without the pending request having to keep polling memcache and the datastore, though I'm not sure if such a thing is possible.

Hussein Vastani

Apr 10, 2015, 1:49:16 PM4/10/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Just curious about the networking setup between App engine and your GCE memory service. I'm having to go via a public IP/proxy to get to my GCE service cluster. Is there a better way while we wait for Google to allow App Engine to hit the internal static IP address of a GCE node in the same project?

Thanks