Our application is suffering from 4 different kinds of 500 errors, plus memory spikes. Are we the 1.7.1 guinea pig?

Per

Aug 14, 2012, 7:47:40 AM8/14/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Our application all of a sudden throws errors that I've not seen before. While we continuously deploy new minor features, we've not made any substantial changes that would explain either of these:

*  Datastore access misbehaving:
Nested in javax.servlet.ServletException: com.google.apphosting.api.ApiProxy$ArgumentException: An error occurred parsing (locally or remotely) the arguments to DATASTORE_V3.Get().:
com.google.apphosting.api.ApiProxy$ArgumentException: An error occurred parsing (locally or remotely) the arguments to DATASTORE_V3.Get().
	at com.google.apphosting.runtime.ApiProxyImpl$AsyncApiFuture.success(ApiProxyImpl.java:452)
	at com.google.apphosting.runtime.ApiProxyImpl$AsyncApiFuture.success(ApiProxyImpl.java:382)
	at com.google.net.rpc3.client.RpcStub$RpcCallbackDispatcher$1.runInContext(RpcStub.java:782)

* Got out of Memory errors while saving the session (outside our control)
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
	at java.util.zip.Deflater.init(Native Method)
	at java.util.zip.Deflater.<init>(Deflater.java:177)
	at java.util.zip.GZIPOutputStream.<init>(GZIPOutputStream.java:63)
	at java.util.zip.GZIPOutputStream.<init>(GZIPOutputStream.java:75)
	at com.google.apphosting.runtime.HttpCompression.compress(HttpCompression.java:51)
	at com.google.apphosting.runtime.HttpCompression.attemptCompression(HttpCompression.java:205)
	at com.google.apphosting.runtime.JavaRuntime$RequestRunnable.run(JavaRuntime.java:482)
	at com.google.tracing.TraceContext$TraceContextRunnable.runInContext(TraceContext.java:449)
	at com.google.tracing.TraceContext$TraceContextRunnable$1.run(TraceContext.java:455)
	at com.google.tracing.TraceContext.runInContext(TraceContext.java:695)
	at com.google.tracing.TraceContext$AbstractTraceContextCallback.runInInheritedContextNoUnref(TraceContext.java:333)
	at com.google.tracing.TraceContext$AbstractTraceContextCallback.runInInheritedContext(TraceContext.java:325)
	at com.google.tracing.TraceContext$TraceContextRunnable.run(TraceContext.java:453)
	at com.google.apphosting.runtime.ThreadGroupPool$PoolEntry.run(ThreadGroupPool.java:251)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)

* com.google.appengine.api.memcache.MemcacheServiceException: Memcache put: Error setting single item (_ahsahRx7dGRBNmJh6XPmzlfTg) -- This one is thrown so deep inside the bowels of Jetty that it's outside our application's reach, and thus a memcache error takes down our application once again:  http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=6463

* URL fetch throws errors we've not seen before:
Caused by: com.google.apphosting.api.ApiProxy$ArgumentException: An error occurred parsing (locally or remotely) the arguments to URLFETCH.Fetch().

Also, memory is all of a sudden rising a lot, every now and then. Resetting the instance with the most instances helps for a while, but the problems resume a few hours later. I'd be tempted to think that the memory issues can cause some of the above errors (but not all).

It's been a while since 1.7.0, so I wouldn't be surprised of this is  related to internal 1.7.1 testing. If this is the case, please stop and move us back to a regular 1.7.0 environment.

Cheers,
Per

PS: I've raised production issues, but since I have never heard back from a single one *ever*, I'm posting to this forum to state how unhappy I am.  It seems to be the only way to get attention (yeah, I've tried getting premium support, but it's not available in Germany...)

Richard Watson

Aug 14, 2012, 8:25:08 AM8/14/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Both your URLFetch and Datastore exceptions refer to argument parsing errors. Could well be the same issue, there.

Kate

Aug 14, 2012, 11:52:47 AM8/14/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Has there been any change in your traffic?